Go Back  Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Past Chevrolet Cars > Cavalier
Reload this Page >

98 cavalier abs light and parking brake light is on

Notices
Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

98 cavalier abs light and parking brake light is on

Old November 22nd, 2011, 9:56 PM
  #11  
CF Beginner
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

[quote=Deric1979;198235]My grandmother died and left me her 98 chevy cavalier and it is doing the same thing. I was wondering if you happened to get that fixed and do you remember what the cause was? greatly appreciated if you would respond, any one of you fine people.(besides the guy that replaced the ABS pump and his fluid.)
Deric1979 is offline  
Old December 10th, 2011, 8:20 PM
  #12  
CF Beginner
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Deric1979 View Post
My grandmother died and left me her 98 chevy cavalier and it is doing the same thing. I was wondering if you happened to get that fixed and do you remember what the cause was? greatly appreciated if you would respond, any one of you fine people.
i had the same thing happen to mine when i put new pads on the front i pushed the caliber drums back and suppose to bleed them back when u dont open the bleeder up then push back it pushs dirt into the control unit and causes the lites to come on i got a used control for the abs where the master cyc is and put that on it was fixxed mine come on and went off 4 times i guess the dirt was going in-out of the abs control till it wouldnt wash out and the lite stayed on till i out that part on and washed the lines put all new fuild havent had anymore troubles with it it could be the wheel sensors but i think i try that first
chipmunk is offline  
Old December 11th, 2011, 3:44 PM
  #13  
CF Beginner
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by chipmunk View Post
i had the same thing happen to mine when i put new pads on the front i pushed the caliber drums back and suppose to bleed them back when u dont open the bleeder up then push back it pushs dirt into the control unit and causes the lites to come on i got a used control for the abs where the master cyc is and put that on it was fixxed mine come on and went off 4 times i guess the dirt was going in-out of the abs control till it wouldnt wash out and the lite stayed on till i out that part on and washed the lines put all new fuild havent had anymore troubles with it it could be the wheel sensors but i think i try that first

OK ill try that. That could just be the cause. The brake pads were changed by someone who isnt a certified mechanic and the according to my mother she mentioned that the brake lights were on before the pads were changed.
Deric1979 is offline  
Old December 18th, 2011, 10:33 PM
  #14  
CF Beginner
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Deric1979 View Post
OK ill try that. That could just be the cause. The brake pads were changed by someone who isnt a certified mechanic and the according to my mother she mentioned that the brake lights were on before the pads were changed.

Ok lol here's what's I do, I first put on my seat belt (THIS THE most important PART), THEN I put my foot on the brake and put the key in the ignition, then I turn the key into the start position but I dont start the engine up til the lights on the dash go out THEN I put my foot on the brake before shifting into gear and THEN the lights stay off lol. If I skip any of these steps (especially the seat belt part) the lights come back on.
Deric1979 is offline  
Old July 13th, 2014, 1:21 AM
  #15  
CF Beginner
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

This is somewhat of an easy question. I have found that there are many reasons why the ABS light will come on. I have run into this problem a few times and a few have been mentioned. The one that I have run into is a problem with the sending solenoid. That is on top of the ABS braking system. I ran into this when I replaced my brake lines from there to the back on both sides, and replaced the entire braking system front to back. I try to do this every 4-5 years because of weather. This is where the solenoid came into play. I bled the lines all 4, and found that there was a line that was not getting anything out. That is when I noticed that there was ABS light on. Then I checked the injection system and found that it was dead. Now the problem is to get it replaced and I cannot find a set price for it. Other than ordering it and costing close to $200 for it. Might find it cheaper somewhere else.. Although this is one thing that I have found to cause it along with the other issues listed.
FreakOnALeash is offline  
Old December 16th, 2014, 8:20 PM
  #16  
CF Beginner
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake and Antilock brake lights on

Check wiring to the front ABS sensors A wire usually pulls out of the pigtail for these sensors ( Another Engineering Failure) replace the Pigtail and youll be good to Go
J Benak
benak7 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
chevywv1863
General Tech
1
February 20th, 2017 10:10 PM
christinam091502
Equinox
3
January 9th, 2013 8:06 AM
mikebruce700000
Cavalier
3
February 25th, 2012 5:43 PM
aztecb3
Tahoe & Suburban
0
April 30th, 2007 1:18 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 cavalier abs light and parking brake light is on


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: