Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

99 cavalier wont start

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2006, 10:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 cavalier wont start

I have a 99 Cavalier, and the dash lights come on when the key is turned to on. No sound or clicking or anything. Just turn the key and nothing happens. The battery is good. This has happened several times and then starts working. I have noticed that the Theft light is on when I go to start. I believe that it has something to do with this. Does anyone know how to disable it or have seen this problem? I do not believ it is the starter, because when it does work the teft light goes off after a coulpe seconds like the air bag light does. When it doesn't start the theft light is on all the time.[/align][/align]
Old December 28th, 2006, 3:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 99 cavalier wont start

ORIGINAL: Bootman

I have a 99 Cavalier, and the dash lights come on when the key is turned to on. No sound or clicking or anything. Just turn the key and nothing happens. The battery is good. This has happened several times and then starts working. I have noticed that the Theft light is on when I go to start. I believe that it has something to do with this. Does anyone know how to disable it or have seen this problem? I do not believ it is the starter, because when it does work the teft light goes off after a coulpe seconds like the air bag light does. When it doesn't start the theft light is on all the time.[/align][/align]
Hopefulley someone who can look it up will check for details and specifics; but there was a recall on my 1999 for the ignition switch which was to fix the same type of issue you were describing. Turning the key and nothing happening. As a safety note; before you got the fix installed they warned when it would not start, not to hold the key in the start position as it could cause an electrical fire in the switch.

You might want to check with a dealer to see if they can tell if your vehicle falls into the recall range or ever had it installed.
Old December 29th, 2006, 8:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 99 cavalier wont start

Ya, already had that recall done.