Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

check gauges light and low fuel

Old October 27th, 2009, 1:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check gauges light and low fuel

will the check gauges light come on if you're low on fuel on a 96 cavalier.i don't have a low fuel indicator light but the other week i was almost on E and my check gauges light had come on.after refueling and restarting, the light had shut off.since no one replied to my no starting post i'm still trying to find out if this related to my non starting issue or if the light just comes on when i'm close to empty.

i only had this car for two weeks when it died and only had the chance to fill the tank once since i had bought the car.i still had about a third of a tank when i first bought this car and filled the tank so it was the first time it had gotten this close to empty.i'm ready to pull the tank and replace the fuel pump but any info would be nice to know beforehand.anyone?
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:08 AM
CF Junior Member

No the CEL (Check Engine Light) should be coming on, when your low on fuel. Now if your fuel pump in the tank is weak, and not holding pressure in the fuel system due to a fault in the pump or wiring this can cause the CEL to illuminate.

Next question, if that car was just purchased, was it sitting for along peroid, if so, then you have foul gas in the tank with possible water accumilated also, and the tank should be drained and cleaned. A quick test for this is to remove your fuel filter and pour it out on to a pie pans. 1 for the tank side and 1 for the engine side, and see if the fuel is showing small bubbles in it, this can be a sign of fouling and water, also is the fuel is very dark in color it bad.

This may explain the issue with the CEL lighting due to missfires, low fuel pressure, and or faulty fuel pump. It would still be worth looking into and possible replacing the fuel pump and tank seal while your at it.
Old October 28th, 2009, 12:41 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Siliconasp
No the CEL (Check Engine Light) should be coming on, when your low on fuel. Now if your fuel pump in the tank is weak, and not holding pressure in the fuel system due to a fault in the pump or wiring this can cause the CEL to illuminate.

Next question, if that car was just purchased, was it sitting for along peroid, if so, then you have foul gas in the tank with possible water accumilated also, and the tank should be drained and cleaned. A quick test for this is to remove your fuel filter and pour it out on to a pie pans. 1 for the tank side and 1 for the engine side, and see if the fuel is showing small bubbles in it, this can be a sign of fouling and water, also is the fuel is very dark in color it bad.

This may explain the issue with the CEL lighting due to missfires, low fuel pressure, and or faulty fuel pump. It would still be worth looking into and possible replacing the fuel pump and tank seal while your at it.

the CEL didn't come on.the "check gauges" light did.they are seperate warning lights.i don't think it's foul gas either.it drove fine with no issues at all for two weeks.the check gauges light had come on during my drive home from work while i was almost on E.

i stopped and filled the tank and the light had gone off.that's why i'm curious if the check gauges light will come on when i'm getting close to empty being the gas gauge is a gauge and the light is warning me i'm almost empty.

the next day on the way to work the car started to loose power and was getting sluggish going up the hills.when i went to leave work it wouldn't start at all.i'm getting spark,it cranks but won't fire.if i spray starter fluid in it'll fire for a second or two so i know it's a fuel issue.the pump won't prime.i'm getting no fuel.thanks for your suggestions,i appreciate any help i can get.
Old October 28th, 2009, 11:11 AM
CF Junior Member

Just for reference, since I can not find my manuals for the 1990's - 2000's Chevy Cavaliers, there are 3 indicator lights for this car. If my memory is serving me correctly they should be listed below...

1. CEL (Check Engine Light) Looks like a engine icon
2. Low Fuel looks like a gas pump handle / or gas can
3. Check Gauge light is the words check gauge.

correction to the my first post.

No the CEL (Check Engine Light) should NOT be coming on, when your low on fuel.

It would seem as your issue being bad fuel pump / pressure at this time.. Sorry for and confusion on getting this resolved for you.