Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2021, 3:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak

I have a 2000 chevy cavalier 2.2l and I'm leaking coolant. Only visible leak was a top radiator hose and I put a new clamp on it and see no more leak. I'm not overheating and reservoir leaks very slow. So slow I can see no coolant puddling under car but it gets low enough to set sensor's off. No water from exhaust , no white smoke . I have no idea where coolant is going. Please help with any information you may have. Thank you
Old August 22nd, 2021, 4:14 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

The better way to verify the coolant level is to let the engine cool down, open the radiator cap and see if the level is up to the top.
If not, it has to be filled and allow all the air to come out as it is run. Filling the recovery bottle can give false signals as to whether the system is full.
The cap on the radiator is supposed to allow pressure built up from expansion to exit out to the recovery bottle , then when the coolant cools down the cap allows coolant to be pulled from the bottle back into the radiator. A malfunctioning radiator cap can cause problems if not working correctly.

A cooling system pressure tester will allow pressure to be applied to the system and when pressurized to the number stamped on the rad cap,will disclose if there are any leaks, internal and external
.Best time to do the test is with a cold engine since all parts contract when cold and if there is a leak it is easier to spot.
Old August 22nd, 2021, 9:32 PM
CF Active Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

At night, with the car idling at operating temperature, open the hood and use a flashlight to carefully inspect the engine/hoses, water pump, reservoir, etc. for leaks. Be very careful not to allow clothing or long hair to get caught in the serpentine belt!
When the engine is cold the reservoir should only be about half full.
Old August 23rd, 2021, 4:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C

Originally Posted by hanky
The better way to verify the coolant level is to let the engine cool down, open the radiator cap and see if the level is up to the top.
If not, it has to be filled and allow all the air to come out as it is run. Filling the recovery bottle can give false signals as to whether the system is full.
The cap on the radiator is supposed to allow pressure built up from expansion to exit out to the recovery bottle , then when the coolant cools down the cap allows coolant to be pulled from the bottle back into the radiator. A malfunctioning radiator cap can cause problems if not working correctly.

A cooling system pressure tester will allow pressure to be applied to the system and when pressurized to the number stamped on the rad cap,will disclose if there are any leaks, internal and external
.Best time to do the test is with a cold engine since all parts contract when cold and if there is a leak it is easier to spot.
Ccoolant leak , I don't have a radiator cap to check, just a overflow tank.
Old August 23rd, 2021, 6:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the has to be a cap either on the rad or surge tank.

surge tank is pressurized and will have a screw on cap that seals the system. an overflow tank/reservoir is not pressurised and with have a snap on cap that does not seal the tank.

Last edited by tech2; August 23rd, 2021 at 6:03 AM.