Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

front end noise update!!!

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2007, 11:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front end noise update!!!

Just to let everyone know, i posted a couple times on here about front end noise when hitting bumps coming from strut area and firewall. I have found the problem and fixed it. Turns out that the bearing plate under the strut mount in the front has a rubber seat on the bearing that apparently creates a cushion between the mount and bearing. This rubber seat was worn through exposing the metal of the bearing to rub on the metal part holding the mount. FYI- struts were shot at only 56,000 miles so anyone having front end problems just plan on changing your struts right away. I also bought the new bearing plate and mount which come together from Monroe. It was $45 at Pep Boys while other parts places like Advance auto and Auto Zone wanted $75-80 for the exact same thing!! Advance Auto didn't believe me so they called Pep Boys and sure enough, they price matched pep boys, boy did they looked pissed that i was right! Well, i'm glad i bought the mounts and bearing plates cause the other side was shot too! There is also a nylon bushing that GM puts on the bearing plate from factory. Both of these were broken on both sides but the after market bearing plates don't come with them and you can't get them unless you buy GM parts ($150 for mount and bearing plate). No thanks but i'll take the Monroe ones without that bushing please!! all the bushing does i think is prevent any noise if the strut shaft would flex over at all and bump the bearing plate. I just wanted to post this so if anyone else is having noise problems a good chance that this is where it's coming from. The job was not hard at all and went quite easily with the help of some strut compressing tool from Advance Auto. this was a good one, not a cheapy! I am now noise free once again!! Hooray!!!