Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Fuel Pump Fuse Blows On Idle (93)

Old October 2nd, 2006, 11:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Fuse Blows On Idle (93)

My cavalier likes to blow fuel pump fuses when it idles...

It dosent happen all the time, seems that when the car is mid temp the rpms go down to .5 or so and the car stumbles a little.
Once in a wile it will blow the fuse for the fuel pump and stall... Then I replace the fuse and it starts fine... Kinnda odd..

A few things I think it might be... My computer recently died and i replace it with a junked one... Could cause the idle to be low thus blowing the fuse.
The fuel regulater might not be letting enough fuel to the engine causeing the engine to stall and in turn the fuel pump cant function at .5 rmps....
Or the fuel pump is old and is building up restance causing it to draw too many amps (the reason I dont think its that is because it only happends at low rmps and it shouldent idle that low.. should it?)
Or I guess it could be the fuel filter/lines getting clogged up and the pressure is too great...

Im going to get it checked out and find out... Just wondering if anyone has any input on this or had it happen to them... Kinnda hard to figgure out the problem when it dosent happen all the time...

This usualy happends once a day... Any ideas would be great Thanks
Old October 3rd, 2006, 12:26 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Pump Fuse Blows On Idle (93)

The pump would have to draw too much amperage to blow the fuse. It could be the pump or the power wire to the pump may have a short.