Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

LD9 Timing chain tensioner conversion. Mechanical vs. Hydraulic

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2012, 1:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation LD9 Timing chain tensioner conversion. Mechanical vs. Hydraulic

I have a 99 z24 with the 2.4 LD9. About 200 miles ago, The water pump started leaking, so I had the water pump, timing chain, guides, tensioner, and cam sprockets replaced with the PCI preffered components timing chain kit. Ever since I had these parts replaced I have been getting slight timing chain rattle briefly for about the first 2 seconds after a cold startup.

I have read about people converting to the older style mechanical timing chain tensioner that came on 1996 year LD9's, However on partsdinosaur it says that the mechanical style tensioner is strictly for 96 model engines only and NOT to use that tensioner on 97+ engines.

It seems to me that the hydraulic tensioner would have to be removed when converting to the older mechanical style tensioner, however wouldn't this cause oil to leak out of the engine block where the hydraulic tensioner bolts on ??? I would like to hear from people who have converted to the older style mechanical tensioner. Please !!!!
Old November 14th, 2023, 7:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LD9 chain tensioner

Originally Posted by ld9z24
I have a 99 z24 with the 2.4 LD9. About 200 miles ago, The water pump started leaking, so I had the water pump, timing chain, guides, tensioner, and cam sprockets replaced with the PCI preffered components timing chain kit. Ever since I had these parts replaced I have been getting slight timing chain rattle briefly for about the first 2 seconds after a cold startup.

I have read about people converting to the older style mechanical timing chain tensioner that came on 1996 year LD9's, However on partsdinosaur it says that the mechanical style tensioner is strictly for 96 model engines only and NOT to use that tensioner on 97+ engines.

It seems to me that the hydraulic tensioner would have to be removed when converting to the older mechanical style tensioner, however wouldn't this cause oil to leak out of the engine block where the hydraulic tensioner bolts on ??? I would like to hear from people who have converted to the older style mechanical tensioner. Please !!!!
I believe the chain guide and tensioner on prev LD9's was a single part, wheras on the '99-'03 (pre Ecotech) they are 2 separate pieces. You would have to find a bolt that fits mounting hole where adjustable guide mounted, and grind the head down to allow for clearance.
i did actually see a YT video where a mechanic doing an LD9 teardown (reason can't remember) where he pointed out where/how this had been done on engine he was working on.
Short of pulling up part #s for the separate gen LD9s and looking at parts i cant say for sure.
Hope this helped, I'm considering same for my '99 Z24. Although I've been told that the aftermarket tensioner don't suffer same "flaw" in OEM.