Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

ninth slave cylinder installed in as many years

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2012, 9:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ninth slave cylinder installed in as many years

I own a 2004 cavalier 2.2 L manual transmission and I have had to install nine clutch masters and slaves. I do not do it myself I have a professional do it. Different ones cause I thought that was the problem at first. Well it turned out even the dealer installing it doesn't work. I have done the clutch three times and they all say it wasn't needed. I use all factory parts every time and still have to replace after awhile. I can't figure it out on why. I have taken the mechanics on a test drive with me to prove I know how to drive a manual trans with no problem even so if I didn't know how to drive it would be a clutch not the hydraulic part right? Please hellp all advice is helpful. Thanks
Old August 14th, 2012, 11:08 AM
CF Junior Member

can you give a little more info on why you have felt the replacements have been needed? Was it a dead pedal, drop to the floor, or some other failure method?
I'm fishing for if it could be an intermittent leak on a line (or blowby on seal in master cylinder? - I had that on brakes once) or something else of that nature...
If you've replaced cylinders multiple times and problem hasn't gone away, I'd start looking at the few remaining parts you haven't replaced i the system - the hydraulic lines for example.
Old August 14th, 2012, 1:18 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Did you look at the cups on the replacements?
Old August 15th, 2012, 10:34 AM
CF Beginner

The reason for the replacements were due to the clutch pedal not returning, no clutch response, and fluid leaks from the slave cylinder leaking, everytime. All lines, master, and slave have been replaced all 9 times. The shops have always used factory parts.
Old August 15th, 2012, 10:51 AM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

I think I would look for more a heavy duty unit even if it is aftermarket from a known company. If all else fails I would try and retrofit a better more heavy unit into the car myself.
Old August 15th, 2012, 11:37 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004 cav
The reason for the replacements were due to the clutch pedal not returning, no clutch response, and fluid leaks from the slave cylinder leaking, everytime. All lines, master, and slave have been replaced all 9 times. The shops have always used factory parts.
If it's not returning it isn't the slave cylinder, and the fact it is always leaking tells me there is a stuck return valve.