Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Running off battery, alternator won't charge

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2015, 10:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running off battery, alternator won't charge

Hey. I've got a 93 Chevy Cavalier Z24 (3.1L 6 cylinder if that matters) and a couple months ago, it broke down on me. Turned out the battery died while I was driving it. This was the first time it did that, and I've owned it about 6 months now. It starts and runs, but only for ~10 minutes. We thought it was the alternator and got a new one, but it still died. We had both alternators checked at autozone, and they were both good. We checked the battery as well, just in case and that was good. It has a new battery now. Put a new tightener and belt on the alternator, and a new ground cable on the battery. We've tried so many things and I'm getting desperate for help. I don't really have the money to buy a new car so I'd appreciate it if anyone here could let me know what they think is wrong, or anything to try.
Old January 14th, 2015, 1:40 PM
CF Monarch

Received 357 Likes on 338 Posts

Check the wiring at the alternator to make sure all connections are good, tight and corrosion free. If it has a plug, make sure all the pins are good and make a good connection.