Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

idle and battery (holding charge) problem 1990 chevy beretta indy

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2008, 7:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle and battery (holding charge) problem 1990 chevy beretta indy

ok i am posting this up .. any help would would be good

my friend owns a 1990 chevy beretta INDY 3.1 v6 ....

his car ran out of gas and was left on the side of the road .... came back with gas a couple hours later ... the battery was dead ... dead to the point that even jump starting wasnt allowing it to start ... came back with a brand new battery ... car started up and drove off

its burning alot of gas ... i mean alot .. idle is pretty crappy as well ... has been a problem for a while

car is acting as if it had a vaccumm leak .. but i could not find anything disconnected except at the brake mast cylinder .. dont know where its supposed to go .....

so i changed spark plugs and cables ... also adjusted the throttle valve up ... it helped a little bit but nothing really

but now .............

after 12hrs of sitting .. the car doesnt want to start .. voltage is low at the battery

went to local auto parts store to exchange battery .. they wouldnt exchange .... so they charged .. and checked it .. and they said it is fine .. i dont really trust them ... idk .. should i go back and ask for a new battery?

they gave the battery back .. and i put it in the car .. car started up fine ... untill the next night (last night) and didnt start ....

car is sitting in my drive way .. currently charging the battery

i checked previously before the car wouldnt start again ... i checked voltage at the battery it was at 13 volts while running .. and as i gave it throttle .. it jumped to 18v and then dropped back to 13.

right now i am charging the battery

any help would be good
Old June 18th, 2008, 9:42 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: idle and battery (holding charge) problem 1990 chevy beretta indy

Something is draining the battery while the car is turned off, you need to track that down to prevent the battery from going dead on you. It sounds like the problem could be in the alternator. If the voltage is jumping up to 18V while running, you could have a bad regulator in the alternator and maybe it is stuck on killing the battery while the key is off