S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Blazer won't hold a charge (New battery and alternator)

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2011, 8:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blazer won't hold a charge (New battery and alternator)

My blazer (1993 S-10 Blazer Tahoe) has been running like a champ. Started her up this morning no problem, business as usual. Ran a few errands and half way through she started having trouble starting. Like the battery was dying... With a month old battery and alternator I'm a little confused. Then at my last stop, I parked her and did my thing and 45 minutes later I climbed back in, turned the key and click click, wouldn't start. And it wasn't long before the battery was COMPLETELY drained. I jumped it and all the sudden it was idling low and barely staying running. Got to the stop sign to leave the parking lot and she died. Tried to start it back up and nothing, not even the click. Battery was completely drained. No charge was retained at all even after a good solid jump and a decent amount of time running to let her regain her composure. Granted she has some electrical issues such as the digital instrument cluster being completely out and a couple bad window motors but nothing that has drawn the power (especially not on that scale) up until this point.

I'm going to come clean and admit that I'm not super familiar with ALL of the workings of post 75 vehicles and this is my first Chevy. I'm hoping that someone could shed light on this problem for me because I don't have a ton of money to throw at it and would like to fix it myself. My initial thought was that it was the starter, but the fact that it wouldn't retain the charge, I don't know... would a bad starter keep the battery from holding a charge? I'm just looking for some pointers so I can save some time and money and get back on the road asap.
Old November 7th, 2011, 8:50 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New batteries and alternators fail all the time. New does not mean good. Have the battery and alternator tested
Old November 7th, 2011, 9:16 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
New batteries and alternators fail all the time. New does not mean good. Have the battery and alternator tested
Sounds like (off the top) a bad battery
Old November 7th, 2011, 11:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

def have the battery and alternator tested. also check cable connections at battery, at starter, and at ground. sidepost batteries are notorious for the cables coming loose at the battery. i've seen cars die, then come to life like usual with a quarter turn of a loose battery cable bolt. also, make sure there's no corrosion on cable ends.
Old January 6th, 2019, 3:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue

Originally Posted by failblazer
My blazer (1993 S-10 Blazer Tahoe) has been running like a champ. Started her up this morning no problem, business as usual. Ran a few errands and half way through she started having trouble starting. Like the battery was dying... With a month old battery and alternator I'm a little confused. Then at my last stop, I parked her and did my thing and 45 minutes later I climbed back in, turned the key and click click, wouldn't start. And it wasn't long before the battery was COMPLETELY drained. I jumped it and all the sudden it was idling low and barely staying running. Got to the stop sign to leave the parking lot and she died. Tried to start it back up and nothing, not even the click. Battery was completely drained. No charge was retained at all even after a good solid jump and a decent amount of time running to let her regain her composure. Granted she has some electrical issues such as the digital instrument cluster being completely out and a couple bad window motors but nothing that has drawn the power (especially not on that scale) up until this point.

I'm going to come clean and admit that I'm not super familiar with ALL of the workings of post 75 vehicles and this is my first Chevy. I'm hoping that someone could shed light on this problem for me because I don't have a ton of money to throw at it and would like to fix it myself. My initial thought was that it was the starter, but the fact that it wouldn't retain the charge, I don't know... would a bad starter keep the battery from holding a charge? I'm just looking for some pointers so I can save some time and money and get back on the road asap.
Same issue battery and alternator changed many times. even having dead guages since