Notices
Classic Trucks (Prior to 1987) Section for all discussion related to the Classic Chevrolet and GMC trucks prior to 1987.

305 no start issue

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2019, 8:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 305 no start issue

Hello all, I recently acquired a 1984 gmc k1500 manual. When I got it had no motor in it. I picked up a used 305 out of an 82 gmc and got it all bolted up and mated to the tranny rebuilt the carb and it started up fine, never really drove it because it needed suspension work still, I got it ready for a test drive went to turn the key and it will not start. Wouldn’t even sputter, so checked for spark and nothing, replaced the ignition coil, rotor and had module tested, still no luck. I ordered a new hei and put in the truck last night I have spark now but still wont start, tried turning the distributor to see if it helped didn’t faze it.
Old June 8th, 2019, 12:03 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Skylour Wayne
Hello all, I recently acquired a 1984 gmc k1500 manual. When I got it had no motor in it. I picked up a used 305 out of an 82 gmc and got it all bolted up and mated to the tranny rebuilt the carb and it started up fine, never really drove it because it needed suspension work still, I got it ready for a test drive went to turn the key and it will not start. Wouldn’t even sputter, so checked for spark and nothing, replaced the ignition coil, rotor and had module tested, still no luck. I ordered a new hei and put in the truck last night I have spark now but still wont start, tried turning the distributor to see if it helped didn’t faze it.
Are you getting fuel at all? The stock Rochester 4-Barell Quadrajet is one P-O-S carburetor. I'd dump it for a Holley carburetor in a New York second. I commend you for overhauling a Q-Jet carb, but they are lots of trouble. Will it start if you shoot some starting fluid down the carb or pour a little gasoline down the carb?
Old June 8th, 2019, 12:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Are you getting fuel at all? The stock Rochester 4-Barell Quadrajet is one P-O-S carburetor. I'd dump it for a Holley carburetor in a New York second. I commend you for overhauling a Q-Jet carb, but they are lots of trouble. Will it start if you shoot some starting fluid down the carb or pour a little gasoline down the carb?
Ive tried both methods and still no luck, Im also getting fuel like should.
Old June 8th, 2019, 1:05 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Skylour Wayne
Ive tried both methods and still no luck, Im also getting fuel like should.
Is it possible that you have a timing issue at all?
Old June 8th, 2019, 3:09 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

the only other thing to check is compression. since most people dont have a tester on hand i would verify youre at TDC with the timing, re-time it and see what happens
Old June 8th, 2019, 4:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

If it ran before sitting and you have done nothing to it, can't see how timing could have changed. Bad fuse or link somewhere??
How long did it sit?? Rodents chew something??
Old June 8th, 2019, 4:50 PM
CF Beginner

I have found the issue and I feel kinda dumb about it, in my head I was going through every possible thing I checked timing twice check fuel and compression, the thing I didnt think to look was my throttle cable to the carb broke out the plastic and was never pulling the butterfly open, took the cable off had someone turn the key while I moved the linkage manually fired right up. This is my first experience with carbed motors, cant believe I missed such an obvious thing.
Old June 8th, 2019, 6:01 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Welcome to the world of humanity.
Old June 10th, 2019, 3:50 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While others will badmouth quadrajet carbs keep in mind GM sold thousands of vehicles equipped with them. Their biggest problem was their foam float. Swap it for a brass float and most of the time the problem is solved. Stay away from Tomco rebuild kits. I'd think twice about blowing a chunk of money on a Holley that's going into a clunker.
Old June 10th, 2019, 8:50 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I've redone several quadrajets, have a friend that rat races them. Not bad mouthing anything, but I would rather use a quad on a GM. Edelbrock is now on my son in laws sbc 1971 truck.