Notices
Classic Trucks (Prior to 1987) Section for all discussion related to the Classic Chevrolet and GMC trucks prior to 1987.

Carb recomendation for 77 almost stock Silverado

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2020, 9:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carb recomendation for 77 almost stock Silverado

I've had an on going issue with my truck when it sits for a few days it won't start unless I prime the carb. Also once Theits warm and sits for 45 mins or so, it will start and immediately die. Then it has to turn over 8 time-ish before it will start. The carb is a stock 4 barrel Rochester. I put JB weld on the plugs that normally leak many years ago. I'm assuming they could be leaking again(?), but I think I want to look into alternative carbs without this issue.

It is a 350 engine bored 0.010 over with an RV cam (whatever that is) and the metal line between the carb/fuel pump has been replaced with rubber fuel line with inline metal can filter.

Fuel​​​Fuel economy is important so in addition to new carb I'm thinking about replacing the turbo 400 with a 700R4.

Any comments/suggestions are much appreciated!
Thanks,
Pat
Old May 3rd, 2020, 6:05 PM
CF Active Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I would replace it with another Quadrajet, don't think anything is going to give you better mileage. If you want to get away from the Rochester, maybe look at a spread bore holley.
Old May 3rd, 2020, 6:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

https://www.carbjunkys.com/
I had this site bookmarked for my 68 El Camino Rochester. I have not used them yet, and forget where I got their name, but maybe they could rebuild yours. Always nice to have the one you started with IMO.
Old May 3rd, 2020, 7:18 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
https://www.carbjunkys.com/
I had this site bookmarked for my 68 El Camino Rochester. I have not used them yet, and forget where I got their name, but maybe they could rebuild yours. Always nice to have the one you started with IMO.
Thanks for the link, but after checking out reviews on-line they seem to have a lot of PO customers that not only claim bad workmanship, but difficult/rude people to deal with. They are located in GA so that's too far away for me to risk doing business with, but I appreciate the link. I'll start googling other carb rebuilders and see what happens...
Old May 3rd, 2020, 7:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Little Bear
I would replace it with another Quadrajet, don't think anything is going to give you better mileage. If you want to get away from the Rochester, maybe look at a spread bore holley.
Thanks, maybe it would be best to look into getting mine rebuilt. Now to find a good place...
Old May 3rd, 2020, 8:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Glad you checked Poodle. Don't know where I heard of them but reviews are always important to consider. A personal reference is golden. Maybe someone here can steer both of us to a good carb shop. Keep us posted on your progress!
Old May 3rd, 2020, 8:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 266 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Poodlehead
Thanks, maybe it would be best to look into getting mine rebuilt. Now to find a good place...
Welcome/Home - Carburetor USA

I used them to locate a kit for an oddball carb several years ago. Recommended them to a friend at work when he needed the carb on his Toyota pickup rebuilt - I can’t recall what they charged him but the work was guaranteed for life. He got it back after a couple weeks and said all he had to do was bolt it back on and the truck ran great.

I haven’t needed to use their services since but I do remember them as being very professional, courteous, and kept me up to date when there was something to report.
Old May 3rd, 2020, 9:39 PM
CF Beginner

Smile

Originally Posted by Gumby22
Welcome/Home - Carburetor USA

I used them to locate a kit for an oddball carb several years ago. Recommended them to a friend at work when he needed the carb on his Toyota pickup rebuilt - I can’t recall what they charged him but the work was guaranteed for life. He got it back after a couple weeks and said all he had to do was bolt it back on and the truck ran great.

I haven’t needed to use their services since but I do remember them as being very professional, courteous, and kept me up to date when there was something to report.
I just checked out their website and everything looks perfect! I also looked for reviews on them and couldn't find any for their company, which to me isn't a bad thing.. They ONLY rebuild your carb, no swaps, so I will be giving them a call tomorrow. $229 for a 6 mo warranty, $329 for lifetime. I'm an old fart, but will still spend the extra $100 so Murphy's Law doesn't happen... Will update you later.... Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
Rednucleus (May 3rd, 2020)