Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

09 cobalt speakers (not wet or blown)

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2020, 5:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 cobalt speakers (not wet or blown)

2009 cobalt, stock radio, basic sound system-no external amp, tweeters or anything. I had door speaker issues before due to the infamous water issues, replaced them with cheap aftermarket ones which lasted maybe a year before they went back to cutting in/out, then stopping completely. I just went without door speakers for almost a year. I recently bought some decent aftermarket speakers, but when I hook them up, they don't work. I've tried wiggling wires/plugs, any thoughts on what this could be before I really tear into things? Thanks!
Old January 13th, 2020, 2:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

it could be a lot of things. You need to eliminate possible causes.

You have three possibilities
1. stereo
2. speakers
3. wires

1. plug known good speaker into stereo. Works? Yes:stereo is OK. No: stereo is bad
2. plug your new speakers into known good audio source. Works? yes: speakers are ok. No: speakers bad
3. plug new speakers directly into deck. Works? Yes: wiring is bad (probably door harness @hinge)
Old January 13th, 2020, 4:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How would I go about plugging them directly into the radio? Tap into speaker wires coming off of harness? I'm a bit nervous about cutting any wires due to the LAN system, anti theft, etc. I know my way around audio, but not around these newer vehicles lol
Old January 13th, 2020, 8:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

you shouldn't need to cut anything.

the wires should release out of the connector with something pin shaped. Just google along the lines of "gm terminal removal". Or maybe if you're careful you can just touch them together.