Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Stereo Speakers

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2008, 9:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Speakers

I am looking to replace the speakers on a 1999 diesel Suburban. Idon't want to spend a ton of cash on this little project or make it harder than take out the old and in with the new. Anybody have any ideas? Where can I find aftermarkets - Crutchfield quoted me $300 and I am not spending that much. There has got to be another source for OEM's or equivalent. The rearmost speakers are a really odd size - 4 x 10 if I am not mistaken and i might be stuck with those.

Also - what kind of agony am I in for with installing replacements? I am assuming you unscrew the old ones, pull the plug, plug in the new ones and off you go.

I'm new here - live in MA and have had this truck for a LONG time. Very reliable and a trustworthy vehicle, but I'm missing my tunes!

Thanks!
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:50 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Stereo Speakers

The speakers in the doors are 6.5" and will require inexpensive adapter brackets to mount them properly like these:
Click here to view link

When you select front door 6.5" speakers make sure to get an efficient speaker with a sensitivity rating of 93db or better and a coax design, don't go too cheap on these drivers they're going to provide most of the sound that you hear.

If your stock rear door speakers are damaged you may just want to replace them with a set of cheap full range 6.5" speakers.

The rear roof speakers are 4x10", Pioneer and Kenwood both produce a decent coax speaker that will work ok, check Ebay for best prices. You can also just go with a set of inexpensive full range drivers here as well since these speakers just provide a fill-in.

Avoid off brand (Boss, Nitro, Pyramid, Audiobahn etc) 2, 3 and 4-way speakers as they tend to be very inefficient and have marginal sound quality at best.

If you shop right you should come in between $150 and $200 for 1 pair or real good front drivers and two sets of decent rear speakers.