Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

2005 Cobalt door chime/turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Old September 30th, 2011, 9:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Cobalt door chime/turn signal problem

Hey. I'm new to the forum and glad to have found a place that seems to have a lot of experienced Chevy guys. I have a 2005 Cobalt base coupe and my turn signal click/door chime/warning ding has been giving me issues. It works, but the sound is so faint that I can't hear it unless I actually have my head under the dash. Most internet forums recommend replacing the door speakers when this happens, but I already replaced my door speakers with aftermarket Pioneers. Also, I read on one forum that the 05-06 Cobalts don't use the door speaker for the chime. Either way, I'm certain that I hear the chime under the dash, and nothing from the speaker. Anybody have experience with this problem?

Thanks.
Old September 30th, 2011, 9:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Do you have an aftermarket radio? If so, you probably have one of those factory integration adapters for door chimes and turn signal clicks. Post the model numbers, etc. and maybe a car stereo expert will jump in here.
Old October 1st, 2011, 6:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm using the stock radio with Pioneer speakers.
Old October 1st, 2011, 8:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, I see. Well, I often find that the folks omit the little fact that the wiring has been heavily modified. On the 2005 Cobalt, a chime speaker is integrated into the I/P cluster. It sounds like the speaker is about done on yours. If you were handy with a soldering iron, you could replace the defective speaker. Take the I/P cluster out and then open up its back panel to expose the circuit board.