Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

2008 chevy cobalt, locked keys in car. Do I have to worry about an alarm going off?

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2019, 12:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 chevy cobalt, locked keys in car. Do I have to worry about an alarm going off?

So basically I was out at the car for a smoke break and got called back into the store where I work so I wasn't paying attention and accidentally locked my keys in the car. I'll be going back tomorrow with either a slim Jim or a clothes hanger and trying to pop the lock on the passenger side but want to make sure I won't be setting an alarm off when I attempt this since it's in a parking lot with tons of traffic. Do I need to worry about setting off an alarm or anything when I try to unlock my car? Thanks!

Last edited by Cody; October 2nd, 2019 at 12:42 AM.
Old October 8th, 2019, 2:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cody
So basically I was out at the car for a smoke break and got called back into the store where I work so I wasn't paying attention and accidentally locked my keys in the car. I'll be going back tomorrow with either a slim Jim or a clothes hanger and trying to pop the lock on the passenger side but want to make sure I won't be setting an alarm off when I attempt this since it's in a parking lot with tons of traffic. Do I need to worry about setting off an alarm or anything when I try to unlock my car? Thanks!
As far as my 2010 is concerned if it's similar to the 2008, yes it will go off, either by mechanically opening the door (Slim Jim) or electronically releasing it with the electronic lock button.

The reason for this I believe is a pressure sensor in the drivers seat, as I can lock the car with the fob while in it, unlock it with the button and open the car from the outside with no alarm. If I do the same standing outside the car, I get an alarm.

But it's only activated when the door is opened, so at worst, a couple of quick chirps while you grab the keys and jam them in the ignition. Not sure about prying the door to get a hanger in there, never had to do it.

I'd be far more worried about getting to the stage where you actually unlock it, but if the car is in your name and you have your license, anyone who cares enough to stick around will get the proof they need as soon as you get in the car. Even if someone calls the cops, bonus points, you'll have a cop to help you on hand (always easier with two people, and they will help as they can't leave until they verify you're the owner) and nothing to worry about. So yea, please, be my guest and call em random hero is what I would say.

Last edited by Michael Methot; October 8th, 2019 at 2:52 PM.