Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

2009 2.2L massive oil leak!

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2020, 4:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 2.2L massive oil leak!

Hey all,
Massive might be an over statement, but its a steady drip while the engine is running! coming from the exhaust side, back corner of the motor. its not the valve cover, as I just replaced that and it is dry. My guess is its the head gasket, but no matter which way I twist my neck and eyes, using a mirror or not, I can not get a good view of where it is actually coming from. But its a steady drip that comes down between the back of the motor and the transmission. Are these known for head gaskets leaking oil? is there something else on that back corner that oil could possibly be leaking from? I cant see any other possibilities, yet I cant get an actual visual, so I dont want to assume. Anybody else have experience with oil leaks there? thanks!
Old June 29th, 2020, 4:18 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by ajparry89
Hey all,
Massive might be an over statement, but its a steady drip while the engine is running! coming from the exhaust side, back corner of the motor. its not the valve cover, as I just replaced that and it is dry. My guess is its the head gasket, but no matter which way I twist my neck and eyes, using a mirror or not, I can not get a good view of where it is actually coming from. But its a steady drip that comes down between the back of the motor and the transmission. Are these known for head gaskets leaking oil? is there something else on that back corner that oil could possibly be leaking from? I cant see any other possibilities, yet I cant get an actual visual, so I dont want to assume. Anybody else have experience with oil leaks there? thanks!
Won't be a head gasket. I do not know where the oil pressure sending unit is on your car, but would look at that.
Old June 29th, 2020, 10:29 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Hey all,
The 2.2 liter engine has the oil pressure sensor on the rear of the engine block, just above the oil pan adjacent to the starter.
Old July 1st, 2020, 8:55 AM
CF Junior Member

Yea this leak is coming from high up on the engine, but not as high as the valve cover, because that is new and i can see it, its clean. Its coming from the back of the engine (flywheel side) on the exhaust side (firewall side) of the engine, and it runs down between the engine block and the transmission. I just can see a darn thing, either from the bottom or the top! very frustrating!
Old November 28th, 2021, 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

Default Oil leak

Hey all,
Hey AJ. I have the same problem with my 2009 cobalt. Like you I can't see find source. Did you ever find the problem. Thx in advance
Old April 5th, 2022, 9:28 AM
CF Junior Member

Believe it or not, I never found the problem. just kept putting oil in for a while. Bogwalker94, did you find the location for your leak?
Old October 15th, 2022, 10:50 PM
CF Beginner

Believe it or not, I never found the problem. just kept putting oil in for a while. Bogwalker94, did you find the location for your leak?
I have the same issue on mine, it’s leaking so bad that I need to fill about half a jug for every 100km.a Any update on yours? I’m planning to take the exhaust manifold off and take a look behind there.

Last edited by tedz; October 15th, 2022 at 10:53 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2022, 2:00 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tedz
I have the same issue on mine, it’s leaking so bad that I need to fill about half a jug for every 100km.a Any update on yours? I’m planning to take the exhaust manifold off and take a look behind there.
Originally Posted by Bogwalker94
Hey AJ. I have the same problem with my 2009 cobalt. Like you I can't see find source. Did you ever find the problem. Thx in advance
I have a 2007 HHR 2.2 and have a very similar issue. Massive oil leak that seems to trickle when engine idles and leak faster under some throttle but seems to be near the exhaust manifold by the thermostat. I removed the heat shield and so far I am unable to totally pinpoint the leak. I am hoping it's something simple. Just did a valve cover gasket. What did everyone have going on any engine issues? Mine hit 241° the same night the leak happened. Thanks
Old October 22nd, 2022, 9:11 AM
CF Junior Member

Yes, I did find the source of my leak, it was coming from a crack in the cylinder head! ughh!!! Was really hard to see, I needed to remove the air pump hoses and valves and stuff, as my engine has the air pump set up.
Old October 22nd, 2022, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

Ok I took the exhaust shield off and got a good photo of the leak. It’s right above the manifold, about an inch above the valve cover. Can’t think of anything other than a cracked cylinder head.

Quick Reply: 2009 2.2L massive oil leak!