Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

filler neck fuel tank cracked??

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2014, 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default filler neck fuel tank cracked??

2007 cobalt leaking gas. Mechanic told me it looked like top of tank leaking, recall/extended safety bulletin 09226. Took to dealer: nope, it is not, filler neck is broken. Needs new tank etc. How in the world does this happen? Apparently common problem but GM does not care. Need to have people die first.....again? Why does GM not do the right things. They know fuel tank is problem since new one is newly designed (old is poorly designed...) $1400 for fix . This car has cost my daughter (18) a fortune, whats next that GM knows but we do not yet???
Can this be fixed cheaper???? epoxy maybe
Old December 11th, 2014, 8:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

which part is broken; the filler neck or the tank?
...get quotes for aftermarket part prices.

Last edited by tech2; December 11th, 2014 at 8:36 PM.
Old December 11th, 2014, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Rock Auto and Amazon both have the filler neck listed for about ~$90... the tank may be a bit harder to find...
+1 on the question is it the tank or neck?
Old December 12th, 2014, 6:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default Filler neck or tank

Will find out which one is broken when I pick up the car.
Old December 12th, 2014, 7:53 PM
Super Moderator

your ranting over a problem that you don't even know where the fault is?
What's scary is you want to epoxy a fuel leak when the proper repair is too expensive for you! Then scold gm for unsafe cars.
Old December 12th, 2014, 10:41 PM
CF Beginner

Was not told which piece is broken by dealer. He just told me the whole thing needs to be replaced otherwise it is incompatible (?). Going to pick it up tomorrow and hope to know more. Do know that I have to pay $69.99 for the diagnostics. Only wanted to know if it can be fixed due to the ridiculous costs to replace, knowing there likely will be problems ahead with the fuel pump assembly (which is the recall/ESB). This is my 18 year old's car. Recalled for powersteering, later ignition switch, whats next? Still feel GM does not do a very good job.
Old December 12th, 2014, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

I get it.
pick any brand, any model and I will print you a list of tsb and recalls. the recalls are all free repairs...your complaint is??
for the price of a cobalt, you can't get a better powertrain. The engine the best 4 cylinder gm has ever made. the trans is adequate. the ride is what you get for a cheap economy car.
Old December 13th, 2014, 8:39 AM
CF Beginner

Yes I understand, it is just frustrating. 18 year old drives this to college. She paid for it and I am not sure how safe it is.....protective dad I guess. I just had the fuel lines replaced last year $800, Really was hoping this would be covered for my daughters sake. My mechanic tells me the car is okay as long as she does not top off the fuel. He found that the leak was "high" on the filler (however GM stated it was low by tank). If she keeps fuel levels lower the gasoline will not slosh and leak. We will see. Thanks for all info. I will lok into aftermarket parts and see how $ it will get.
Old December 13th, 2014, 12:44 PM
CF Beginner

Picked up car from dealer. Paid $69.95 diagnostic fee, $4.20 shop fee plus tax, $80.
After paying we were told car was standing outside. Searched for 10-15 minutes, no luck. Went back inside and waited 20 more minutes before 5 staffmembers finally found it in the back, in their construction zone. Car had to be washed first.... Oh well, got it back.

Last edited by digidutch; December 13th, 2014 at 5:03 PM.
Old February 19th, 2017, 4:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default leaking fuel neck issue

I had this issue after the fuel pump was replaced. It was not installed correctly. The gasket on the pump rim had swelled up, was not replaced with a new one.
Put in new gasket and it fixed the problem. If it is not the pump, need to inspect the plumbing from the filler neck to the tank for signs of leaking.
The following users liked this post:
Dave Smith (February 26th, 2021)