Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

Power locks don't work from Driver side panel

Old April 17th, 2008, 6:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power locks don't work from Driver side panel

Hi,

I just bought a 2005 Cobalt for my daughter and the power locks don't work from the driver side panel. They do work from the passenger side panel and from the remote keyless entry. Any suggestions on what might be wrong here? I planned on opening it up and taking a look for a fuse this weekend.

Thanks,
-Mike
Old April 17th, 2008, 8:23 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Power locks don't work from Driver side panel

If the door locks are working from other sources, then you can rules out a fuse as the culprit. Start at the drivers door lock switch. There should be 2 wires there, black and white. test the black wire for continuity to ground.you should have little to no resistance. If you have a good ground, test the switch by measuring resistance at the 2 terminals of the switch. when the switch is in the lock position, there should be 0ohms of resistance, and when unlocked there should be 1500ohms of resistance.
Another way of testing it, if you don't have a multimeter, is the take a jumper lead, and cross the black and white wires. The doors should lock. If you take a 1500ohm resister, and put it across the 2 wires, the doors should unlock. If the locks do not operate, try running a long extension lead directly from the negative side of the battery, and touch it to the white wire, the doors should lock, and throught the 1500ohm resister, doors should unlock. If the locks operate, then you need to repair the black wire, It should go directly to ground. If they still don't work, then Check connector 1 (72 pin grey conn, the left-most plug)at the BCM. (panel on the passeneger side of center console comes off). Pin 7 has a white wire going to is,and is theLSdoor lock switch signal. Do the same test at this wire with the long extension from the battery as you did at the switch. If it works, then you need to repair the white wire from the BCM to the switch. If it still doesn't work, and the passenger side does, cute the wire at pin 7, and attached it to the white wire at pin 6. Pin 6 is the passenger side door lock switch and operates exactly the same as the drivers door, and are accually crossed over inside of the bcm

Good luck
Old April 17th, 2008, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Power locks don't work from Driver side panel

I have the same year cobalt and the power locks on my drivers side doesnt work really either. For me its not such a bad thing tho since if they would work id more than likely lock my keys in my car but anyhow i hope you get it fixed simply because i have the same thing wrong with mine,.
Old November 11th, 2010, 6:24 PM
CF Beginner

Just picked up a 2005 Cobalt. Neither lock switches work. Is the problem at the connector in the fuse panel?
Old December 4th, 2010, 10:39 AM
CF Beginner

Im having the same problem. They work when I shift my car in park and drive but for some reason neither one of the door switches work. Cant seem out figure out why. Any one hav any ideas?