Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

2011 Cruse - Coolant i$$ues car worthless after owning 8 Months

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2020, 6:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2011 Cruse - Coolant i$$ues car worthless after owning 8 Months

Back in November of 2019 I bought a 2011 Chevy Cruze with 61,000 Miles on it for my daughter. Yesterday it broke down on the freeway, and it looks like it was a cooling system issue that caused at least $5,000 (And Potentially more) worth of engine damage, (may need a new engine, and they won't know if the Turbo is bad until they get the vehicle running). With all of the issues around the cooling system on this year/make, I dont think I want to dump the cost of the vehicle into repairs, only to potentially have it happen again within a year, and strand her in the middle of the freeway again. Also don't want to lose the value of the car after owning it for 8 months.
I bought a Chevy for my daughter thinking she would get years of use out of it, and now I feel like we ended up with a REALLY EXPENSIVE 8 month Rental. I am really disappointed in this vehicle. We own 3 Chevys, get all of our maintenance done at the dealership, and with no warning, poof, Repair bill more than the Car is worth. No warranty help, I guess because we are the 2nd owner, but there is somewhere around 65,000 miles on it.
Anybody have any other ideas? We have owned nothing but Chevys for years, but I won't ever spend another dime on a Chevy if this is how it is going to be. We specifically targeted a low mileage Chevy for my daughter, with the expectation that she could own and drive it for many years; Chevy Quality??

One other note, we had the Dealership do a GM Multipoint Vehicle inspection on 7/2/2020, and the car broke down with massive repair cost exactly 25 days later. Overall I am very disappointed
Old August 17th, 2020, 5:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You didn't do your homework. Any vehicle that is using an engine size used in lawn mowers or motorcycles... made out of aluminum, high compression and then stick a turbo on it so it can haul a 3000 lb vehicle around is not something you should buy to be reliable.

The engine is being pushed beyond what it is capable of and to add the icing on the cake, they increased the operating temperature of the engine to 220 degrees for emissions. .. on aluminum... with forced induction which can skyrocket cylinder temps

This was all done for emissions and gas mileage. Not reliability.

Powertrain warranty follows the current owner. Its 5 years/100k miles. You're past the 5 years.