Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

2012 ac suddenly blowing hot air

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2019, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 ac suddenly blowing hot air

When i turn the ac on there is no loss of power or the bit of shaking it usally does but whem i turn it off it does it ...... voltage drops for a second and car shakes a little. I checked to see if it was low but gauge came back reading in the red. Clutch spins when turned on also. HELP!!
Old August 16th, 2019, 10:07 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Justice
When i turn the ac on there is no loss of power or the bit of shaking it usally does but whem i turn it off it does it ...... voltage drops for a second and car shakes a little. I checked to see if it was low but gauge came back reading in the red. Clutch spins when turned on also. HELP!!
Need to be more specific here, D-J. Your A/C compressor clutch is engaging when the A/C is turned on, engine running? Are you checking pressures with an A/C gauge set, or those cheap low-pressure side gauges that come with a can of R-134A?
Old August 17th, 2019, 12:22 AM
CF Beginner

Yes the clutch is engaging. I checked it with ac pro gauge with tha ac on and went to red . I have not put any freon in . Ac is blowing hot . I have checked all fuses and relays. The fan comes on when i push the ac button. I pulled the side panels off underneath dash and the two pipes that come in are extremely hot . The pipes under the hood are not hot or cold when turning on ac .
Old August 18th, 2019, 2:36 AM
CF Monarch

Yes the clutch is engaging. I checked it with ac pro gauge with tha ac on and went to red . I have not put any freon in . Ac is blowing hot . I have checked all fuses and relays. The fan comes on when i push the ac button. I pulled the side panels off underneath dash and the two pipes that come in are extremely hot . The pipes under the hood are not hot or cold when turning on ac .
When I said an A/C gauge set, I mean that you have both a low-side gauge (usually blue) and a high-side gauge (usually red) with hoses going to the high and low side of you A/C system, as seen below. Is that what you have, as the AC Pro that I saw online I can see only comes with a low-side gauge and a can of R-134A and you only mentioned one gauge and it's typical for the one low-pressure gauge to have a green/blue/red on the dial?

This is an A/C gauge set that I spoke of before..

That said, what PSI do the gauge or gauges register, when the engine is off? That's just a static reading but it might help me solve your A/C issue.

Have you added any R-134A refrigerant or PAG compressor lubricant to your A/C system at all? Any thing else, like A/C sealant?

Does your air conditioning compressor make any noise, or feel like it's making any vibration/grinding internally to the touch?.

How many miles do you have on your 2012 Chevy Cruze? How long ago did this air conditioning problem start? Did it happen all of a sudden or slowly?
Old August 19th, 2019, 9:44 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
When I said an A/C gauge set, I mean that you have both a low-side gauge (usually blue) and a high-side gauge (usually red) with hoses going to the high and low side of you A/C system, as seen below. Is that what you have, as the AC Pro that I saw online I can see only comes with a low-side gauge and a can of R-134A and you only mentioned one gauge and it's typical for the one low-pressure gauge to have a green/blue/red on the dial?

This is an A/C gauge set that I spoke of before..

That said, what PSI do the gauge or gauges register, when the engine is off? That's just a static reading but it might help me solve your A/C issue.

Have you added any R-134A refrigerant or PAG compressor lubricant to your A/C system at all? Any thing else, like A/C sealant?

Does your air conditioning compressor make any noise, or feel like it's making any vibration/grinding internally to the touch?.

How many miles do you have on your 2012 Chevy Cruze? How long ago did this air conditioning problem start? Did it happen all of a sudden or slowly?
147,000 miles . I used the cheap gauge that only measures low side . And yes ac suddenly went out last week . No i haven't added anything to it. And with it on or off gauge goes all the way to the red . I guess i better invest in getting the gauges for both low and high side.
Old August 22nd, 2019, 8:52 AM
CF Monarch

147,000 miles . I used the cheap gauge that only measures low side . And yes ac suddenly went out last week . No i haven't added anything to it. And with it on or off gauge goes all the way to the red . I guess i better invest in getting the gauges for both low and high side.
You might be able to rent-borrow them from an auto parts store. But yeah, it would be of great help to see what the high side pressures are.
Old August 22nd, 2019, 10:04 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

the reading being in the red with the ac or compressor off is normal, the same thing will happen if you connect it with the car off. you might need to add more or you have a bad sensor not allowing the compressor to turn on. im not too familiar with these systems (being that new) but i know with the older ones if you jumped the low pressure sensor pigtail (located on or near the accumulator) it will kick the compressor on. if i was in your shoes this would be the first thing i try. but i would wait till someone with more knowledge of these systems chimes in.