Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

my engine fan is running all the time

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2014, 9:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem/Common fix?

I have a 2012 Cruze with the same problem of the fan constantly running with the check engine light on. I did reset the computer once and it fixed it for a day. I'm nearing 70K miles on mine so I'm sure it's not under warranty. Is there a common problem with this issue? If I knew what to replace, I'd just do it myself to save the hassle of dealing with a dealership. Amazing that a new car can have a common issue. I guess I'll go back to buying import or used.
Old July 17th, 2014, 11:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tcobb64
I have a 2012 Cruze with the same problem of the fan constantly running with the check engine light on. I did reset the computer once and it fixed it for a day. I'm nearing 70K miles on mine so I'm sure it's not under warranty. Is there a common problem with this issue? If I knew what to replace, I'd just do it myself to save the hassle of dealing with a dealership. Amazing that a new car can have a common issue. I guess I'll go back to buying import or used.
What's the engine code? 70k miles is not new anymore

Last edited by sledge.impy; July 17th, 2014 at 1:12 PM.
Old July 17th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tcobb64
We can document this issue with your fan within our database, tcobb64. We certainly don't want this situation to affect your view of the brand and our apologies for any trouble this has caused. Send us your VIN and contact information if we can be of assistance.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 18th, 2014, 7:38 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
What's the engine code? 70k miles is not new anymore
I understand 70k is not new. It had a lot less when the issue started. But on top of this the truck no longer opens manually but only by remote. But that's another thread. I'll have to have it checked again. I don't remember the code.
Old July 19th, 2014, 12:36 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2013 cruze and mine did the same thing, fan running on high and check engine light on. I took it in and it was the AC high side pressure switch. Have not had any more problems.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 5:54 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 Cruze. 51k check engine thermostat

Same issue. Paid $65 diagnostic fee at dealer. They say it's the thermostat and not covered under 100k power train warranty. How can this be with so many other owners having same issue. Dealer wants $370 to replace. I can't afford that repair right now and shouldn't have to on a 2012 car that is still basically new. Very disappointed in the Chevy brand at the moment.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 2:37 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Loadtoads,

I am very sorry to hear of your displeasure. I understand that you have been to the dealership to get this concern resolved and you are not happy with the diagnosis. I will be happy to look further into this for you. Feel free to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealership name if the extra help is needed. We look forward to hearing from you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 23rd, 2014, 8:04 PM
CF Beginner

I have been getting intermittent check engine lights. Comes on and about a day later it would clear. By the time I got friend's reader, no code would be in computer to show what it was. I finally got my own reader. The last 3 days, as soon as I start my car in the morning the fan would come on and seem like it was gonna come out through the grill. Check engine light came on and I captured code P0597. Temp Gage on Dash goes to same spot it always has. Sounds like the Thermostat problem everyone else seems to be having.

My Cruze is currently under 3 years and at 51000 miles so I should be covered.

I called the Dealership (Gordon Chev) where I bought my car and they can't get me in til next Wednesday, June 30th. I called another Dealer (Milton Ruben)(actually closer to me) and I just keep getting sent to voicemail (6 times today alone).

Anyway one of you kind Customer Service Reps can make some magic happen and get me in to service dept within next two days (June 25th or June 26th)???? I won't be able to make it to Dealers any day next week before they close. I'm working 12 hr shifts.

I'm in Evans, GA (30809)

Thanks!

Last edited by JRBesq; July 23rd, 2014 at 8:08 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 8:15 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Loadtoads
Same issue. Paid $65 diagnostic fee at dealer. They say it's the thermostat and not covered under 100k power train warranty. How can this be with so many other owners having same issue. Dealer wants $370 to replace. I can't afford that repair right now and shouldn't have to on a 2012 car that is still basically new. Very disappointed in the Chevy brand at the moment.
How can that be? Web site with power train definition and parts covered includes thermostat??? Or can't I read?
Old July 25th, 2014, 7:25 AM
CF Beginner

I as well have a 2012 Chevy Cruz. Looks like there is a lot of the same issue. My fan is constantly running and the engine light came on. Thank God I have onstar. They did an on demand diagnostic on the car and came back with Engine Coolant Thermostat heater control circuit high voltage. Is this a common thing with the 2012 vehicle? Has there been a recall on this part?

Quick Reply: my engine fan is running all the time