Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

A problem in the gear box (Cruze 2011)

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2014, 12:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy A problem in the gear box (Cruze 2011)

Hi,

I have (Cruze 2011) 80000km. Suddenly, the car was stopped and it cannot move it forward. I stop the car and restart the engine and it start to move, but when it comes to 3, the rmp is raise up without pushing (power) the car, then I transfer into the manual mode, I was shocked that there is a problem in connecting gear #3 and #5. I think there is a problem in gear box or something like this.

I need help. What’s the problem and how can I fix it? Because the fixing fee is highly cost and might be cost more than 3500 USD
Any help please?
Old October 18th, 2014, 12:06 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you ever change the transmission fluid? it is recommended at 45000 miles at the latest (72000 km)
if not, you are passed due, so start there
Old October 19th, 2014, 5:52 AM
CF Beginner

Yes. I changed the transmission fluid @ 70000 Km.
Old October 19th, 2014, 8:40 AM
CF Active Member

I'm assuming you have a check engine light on?
1. scan it yourself or
2. take it into a transmission shop. they can scan it.
you can have a problem with either the solenoid block for the transmission or low readings for the clutch pack or even a bad tcm (trans control module).
Old October 20th, 2014, 5:17 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you ThatChevyGuy for your concern. For now, I am not using the car. I have an appointment for scanning next Wednesday. I will see what's going on and I will update you.
Old October 20th, 2014, 7:08 AM
CF Active Member

awesome. good to hear.
Old January 19th, 2015, 12:52 AM
CF Beginner

Sounds like your 3-5-reverse wave plate is broken. This is a massive problem with the 6T30 and 6T40 transmissions. I rebuild them every day lol. You probably won't have any codes except maybe p0700 which is TCM calls for MIL illumination. Most likely needs a new TEHCM as well. Need GDS2 to look up codes in the TCM.

The transmission needs to be rebuilt and most likely the 3-5-reverse housing is damaged, as well as the 3-5-reverse plates.

I have seen them so bad that the input carrier get destroyed because the snap ring that holds the 3-5-reverse clutch pack in grenades and gets sent all over the other pieces.

I rebuild probably 2-3 a week with this problem. and if it's out for something else I always replace that wave plate, because it will probably come back with it broken lol.

Last edited by GMtechtack; January 19th, 2015 at 12:56 AM.
Old May 7th, 2015, 1:07 PM
CF Beginner

Default truly screwed

My car just did the same thing ....not only that the tech at dealer put wrong fluid in my coolant container causing itto overheat for the third time . it overheated under warranty twice ..but anyway back to the subject I have 102,000 miles on my Cruze and it did exact same thing yesterday . but when it was at dealership two months ago I told them to check tranny during oil change they said tranny was fine ....btw the tech screwed the oil change up and most if not all the oil leaked out i think from putting filter in wrong . and also if they put wrong coolant in say 40 thousand miles ago and it overheated would the tranny have overheated also?????
Old May 8th, 2015, 7:38 AM
CF Active Member

Your transmission probably did not overheat. Your coolant goes through the engine block Only. Transmission fluid is cooled by running through the bottom of the radiator (if you have an automatic) . Standard transmissions do not need transmission fluid cooling.
Old December 1st, 2016, 8:10 PM
CF Beginner

These transaxles (6Txx series) contain poorly manufactured parts! Every single one of them will experience the wave plates and snap ring breaking into pieces! They just can't handle the pressure. GM should be sued so the consumer doesn't have to be left with the bill! I am reaching out to my US representative to see if I could initiate a class action against GM. IMO, transmissions should last a really long time except for reasonable wear and tear but definitely NOT for failed parts due to poor materials used or bad engineering. GM must pay!! A word of wisdom to anyone who would listen, do not buy any product from GM (I believe Ford F65, uses these as well) with these transaxles installed in them.

Quick Reply: A problem in the gear box (Cruze 2011)