Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

A problem in the gear box (Cruze 2011)

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2016, 2:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maurice435
These transaxles (6Txx series) contain poorly manufactured parts! Every single one of them will experience the wave plates and snap ring breaking into pieces! They just can't handle the pressure. GM should be sued so the consumer doesn't have to be left with the bill! I am reaching out to my US representative to see if I could initiate a class action against GM. IMO, transmissions should last a really long time except for reasonable wear and tear but definitely NOT for failed parts due to poor materials used or bad engineering. GM must pay!! A word of wisdom to anyone who would listen, do not buy any product from GM (I believe Ford F65, uses these as well) with these transaxles installed in them.

GM already pays for this repair, they extend the warranty of all internal parts, as well as repay and funds used to repair it if it was repaired outside of a dealership.

There are always going to be failures on automotive parts it is impossible to manufacture millions of products that require thousands of parts and not have a single one break for anyone.

So good luck with the lawsuit, you're gonna need it
Old December 2nd, 2016, 10:58 PM
CF Beginner

How far did GM extend the warranty for? 100XXX miles? Because they wouldn't help me at the dealer with my problem and GM denies any problem with their product. I would sincerely appreciate your insight on this. They should recall these transaxles for the very same reason they recalled same transaxles for a faulty turbine shaft. The very same symptoms that GM outlines on that recall (Vehicle won't upshift to third through sixth gears limiting the vehicle's speed...and if in high gear, would downshift causing vehicle to not accelerate past 24 MPH--I'm paraphrasing) was experienced by my wife as she was driving in traffic on a very busy San Diego freeway--it was VERY frightening for her and extremely dangerous situation. She could have been killed--first hand experience here! Yes, parts break, I understand, but just think about the experience and expertise these engineers have, this seems like a rookie mistake at least IMHO. It's one thing to have parts break due to abuse, but don't you see a pattern here? Shouldn't GM make it right? I mean we're not talking about petty cash here or not to mention the potential for lives to be at risk. I paid my hard earned money for my Sonic.You sound as if customers need to shut up and take it. Well customers of these vehicles around the world should speak out. Call your congressman. Get your representatives to help you fight this behmoth. All I'm saying is GM make it right for your customers. And if in fact they have extended the warranty I haven't seen any letter from GM or the dealership I bought the car from. BTW your last sentence was not necessary. You must be a GM technician--I was one too.

The recall

Recall Number
14V315000
Recall Date
06/12/2014
Component
POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Summary
General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain model year 2012 Chevrolet Sonic vehicles manufactured March 1, 2012, to June 29, 2012, and equipped with a 6 speed automatic transmission and 1.8L four cylinder engine. In the affected vehicles, the transmission turbine shaft may fracture.
Consequence
If the transmission turbine shaft fracture occurs during vehicle operation in first or second gear, the vehicle will not upshift to the third through sixth gears, limiting the vehicle's speed. If the fracture occurs during operation in third through sixth gear, the vehicle will coast until it slows enough to downshift to first or second gear, increasing the risk of a crash.
What Owners Should Do
GM will notify owners, and dealers will replace the transmission turbine shaft, free of charge. The recall began on August 8, 2014. Owners may contact Chevrolet customer service at 1-800-222-1020. GM's number for this recall is 14234.

Read more at https://www.cars.com/recalls/chevrol...4PkouvWgLvD.99
Old May 7th, 2019, 7:25 PM
CF Beginner

Default Hi there

I see you have a lot of experience with these transmissions. I have a 2009 Chevy Malibu with the 6T40 trans, Gen 1.

would you be willing to contact me about this transmission, I have it pulled out and opened it up. I have a broken plate out of the 3-5-R clutch, and a snap ring has broken that holds it in place. The grooves on the drum that hold the snap ring in are torn to crap.

apparently they sell a “drum saver” kit that allows you to reuse the old drum... saves money rather than replacing it.. have you ever heard of this?

Originally Posted by GMtechtack
Sounds like your 3-5-reverse wave plate is broken. This is a massive problem with the 6T30 and 6T40 transmissions. I rebuild them every day lol. You probably won't have any codes except maybe p0700 which is TCM calls for MIL illumination. Most likely needs a new TEHCM as well. Need GDS2 to look up codes in the TCM.

The transmission needs to be rebuilt and most likely the 3-5-reverse housing is damaged, as well as the 3-5-reverse plates.

I have seen them so bad that the input carrier get destroyed because the snap ring that holds the 3-5-reverse clutch pack in grenades and gets sent all over the other pieces.

I rebuild probably 2-3 a week with this problem. and if it's out for something else I always replace that wave plate, because it will probably come back with it broken lol.
Old September 27th, 2021, 9:48 AM
CF Beginner

Hi.
I see you are clued up with this 6T30 auto.Can you tel me if its possible to replace 2011 cruze 6t30 Gen1 TEHCM and valve body with a Gen 2 or 3 TEHCM and valve body and get it programmed with my VIN:.
Old October 29th, 2023, 3:20 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by GMtechtack
Sounds like your 3-5-reverse wave plate is broken. This is a massive problem with the 6T30 and 6T40 transmissions. I rebuild them every day lol. You probably won't have any codes except maybe p0700 which is TCM calls for MIL illumination. Most likely needs a new TEHCM as well. Need GDS2 to look up codes in the TCM.

The transmission needs to be rebuilt and most likely the 3-5-reverse housing is damaged, as well as the 3-5-reverse plates.

I have seen them so bad that the input carrier get destroyed because the snap ring that holds the 3-5-reverse clutch pack in grenades and gets sent all over the other pieces.

I rebuild probably 2-3 a week with this problem. and if it's out for something else I always replace that wave plate, because it will probably come back with it broken lol.
My 14' Chevy Sonic LT 1.8l with I believe a 6T40 Gen 2 transmission went out on me. I entered limp mode then proceeded to lose all my gears. No forward or reverse. I just replaced my transmission solenoids and upon refilling and finishing the repair I started the car and now I have Drive, first, second, and third gears (I didn't check to see if 4,5, or 6 gears worked) but I still dont have reverse back. Does that still sound like the problem you referenced above^^^?
how much would the repairs you spoke run someone on avg?
Thank you!
​​​​
​​
Old October 29th, 2023, 4:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

@Pfcsam93 the user you are replying to hasn't visited the forum in 7 years. It is very unlikely they will respond to you. The best way to get help for your question is to post a new topic. Make sure to post all your details like miles on the odometer, diagnostic fault codes, and all the troubleshooting you've already done.