Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

New guy here, just saying hello, have some questions also

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2012, 12:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy here, just saying hello, have some questions also

Ok, I am 16 year old who is VERY intersted in cars/ trucks. I love working on stuff, when I was 6 or 7 i would work on junk lawnmowers and slowly moved to cars. I currently take a auto mechanics class at a career center, but its the intro class so the most we have done is tore down a motor and reassembled it. I am a die hard chevy fan! Currently looking for a first truck or maybe tahoe or suburban. My dad had a 69 z28 with a 305. My grandpa had a 64 chevy c10 with a 283 (my cousin has the truck now, but now has a crate motor). Before my cousin put a crate motor in it the 283 was wore so bad if you parked it on much of a hill it would roll away in gear due to low compression. He carried a rock with him to put under wheel lol.

Anyway my dad has a 1990 chevy 1500 4x4 , with a 350. It was my sisters first vehicle and in 1998 it had 123000 miles. She drove it a few years then my dad drove it up until 2 years ago when the rear end went out. It had a whopping 345000 miles on it!!! The motor was wore real bad used about a quart of oil a week. However the tranny in the truck only has 30-40 thousand since it was rebuilt . A real good freind of mine is giving me a rear end . So I think I might rebuild the engine would be a great project, I have ordered a book on rebuilding 283, 327,350 and 400s. I plan on getting my cousin to help me since he has rebuilt many motors. A kit is right around 300 bucks. My question is how much would it cost me to take the heads to a machine shop and have them go over them and redo. 2-300 dollars??
Old December 6th, 2012, 7:22 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on the condition on your heads and the shop. Some shops are expensive, and others are not too bad because either they have their equipment paid off or they aren't trying to be millionaires from what they charge. I know one shop near me who won't do squat unless he does everything to the head (or whatever it may be) himself which I think is a total turnoff for customers. I don't call him anymore for anything. So find a local shop, could be at the parts store or in their own building, become friends with them. Ask around your area for referrals on where you should go.

300 bucks sounds close for a set of Chevy SB heads though.