Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

Rebuilt 327 with a flat cam lobe

Old August 5th, 2019, 3:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt 327 with a flat cam lobe

I have a 1963 Chevy impala and had the stock 327 rebuilt to factory specs with a flat tappet cam and had the cam go flat I took it back to the machine shop and they dont know why it went flat but put in a new cam and said no oil gallies had metal and the bearings were fine I had the same lobe go flat and now it’s not under warranty, what could have caused the same lobe to go flat I have hardly put any miles on it.
Old August 6th, 2019, 4:55 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by 83rivas
I have a 1963 Chevy impala and had the stock 327 rebuilt to factory specs with a flat tappet cam and had the cam go flat I took it back to the machine shop and they dont know why it went flat but put in a new cam and said no oil gallies had metal and the bearings were fine I had the same lobe go flat and now it’s not under warranty, what could have caused the same lobe to go flat I have hardly put any miles on it.
Best guess would be that it's not being lubricated enough by the engine oil for some reason.

Search this Thread