Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

Wanting to learn more...

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2008, 8:58 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wanting to learn more...

Yep all but the degree wheel mentioned in the video.

The prices of these tools don't seem that bad, I was actually expecting to see a lot worse.

I really hope a nice new set of ratchet wrenches are under the tree for me... I think those would be really handy to have...

I think you may have forgotten to mention a timing light too...

EDIT: anybody know how to make it so it shows more posts per page? I hate have a hundred pages each showing like 5 posts, I like for all posts to be on one page...

EDIT2: could you explain internal and external balance to me please. The video never mentioned anything about that...
Old December 9th, 2008, 12:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks. I will read it again later as I forgot what I read the other day...

I am looking to purchase another pickup right now, the bank says go, but the seller is still a big ?, I will know this evening when I talk to him again if he wants to sell it or not. Its a 2005 Dodge 2500 Cummins QuadCab Short bed 4x4 Laramie with a 6speed manual transmission, and is asking $21k.

If I do get another pickup then it will give me mucho time to start my project and allow me to take my time. It would allow me to take it apart, see what I have at hand, and study up and see what I can do with it instead of just taking it apart, and replacing tired parts with new ones.

I really appreciate your help Gary.
Old December 9th, 2008, 3:57 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: Charms

Thanks. I will read it again later as I forgot what I read the other day...
TAKE NOTES!!! [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

A one subject notebook and a pen will be your best friend. That means ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you think you might want to remember. I am constantly taking notes on diesels, gas etc (I am still in the diesel program actually).I still have to study others but the advantage you will have over others that do not do this everyday or fairly often, you will have the upper hand easily. Notes are great, plus on some of the things you take notes of might just stick in your head etc but you will always have something to look back in for double checking. And you have this place also for double checking on posting questions. I haven't seen many in here like Gary, it is kind of quiet buthes your main guy for now.

I am up to 3 5-subject notebooks currently being filled with things from general maintenance to racing (Mainly Gas & alcohol)to Diesel tech maint. Maybe the 4th one will be Diesel performance and Atv/Snowmobile performance tech [sm=badbadbad.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]. My list keeps on growing of technical interest believe it or not and I am only 23 so I have quite a while to learn it all.
Old December 11th, 2008, 1:12 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks.

Well, now I am the owner of an 05 Dodge Ram 2500 with a Cummins diesel. So now I will have time to work on old blue, and even drag it around if I need too haha

Anyways, plans are still to start this project after the holidays. We will get this baby running GOOD again And learn how to put together an engine. I am kind of scared that I will screw up and when I go to crank it up for the first time it will blow up on me. But i'm sure it wont be THAT bad... I'm just the paranoid kind.

I don't think my wife is too happy with my truck purchase [sm=oopssign.gif]
Old December 11th, 2008, 10:33 PM
CF Active Member

This is interesting. Just got through reading all the posts. Haven't been looking around the forum a whole lot. Been working at the shop a lot and just got done doing the transmission on my truck and various other things on it. I'm gonna keep checking back though because I've learned a lot since I started working at the shop so I'm hopeful that I can help and even more hopeful that I can learn more. I know now more than I thought I would ever know, but I know that I have a lot more to learn. If you have any other questions let me know. We got a guy at the shop that has done multiple chevy engine builds and many other things on these trucks. Good luck with your project. Glad to hear other people are trying to keep these old truck around. A few of the guys at the shop think I'm crazy for putting all this money into my 92'.
Old December 12th, 2008, 9:26 AM
CF Junior Member

I love that older body style of the chevy's like mine. I wish I could restore her back to new condition but I don't have that kind of money laying around. I do want to keep this truck running at least so that my kids can see what I grew up with. And also have their first vehicle ready haha

Its gonna be a good truck to keep around the shop here, and probably even be used as a service truck if it needs to...

I have had some really good chance to get rid of it, one guy offered me 4k for it the beginning of this year and I paid 5k for it almost 6 years and about 80k miles ago lol but I can't let it go, its the truck I got when I turned 16 and i've become extremely bonded to it...
Old December 13th, 2008, 2:41 PM
CF Junior Member

lol no couch for me...

Just upset that she didn't even see the truck until the papers were signed lol

Don't know if I posted a pic of it or not but here is a link...
http://basictire.com/outcasts/mynewtruck.jpg

I have always wanted a cummins with a manual transmission and now I have one so I'm excited and feel like showing everybody

I cant' wait to get started on o'le blue, I might even try to do some modify'ing of the engine for more power now that I have a "daily driver"...

We'll see, after the holidays...

Old December 19th, 2008, 3:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Started the process of taking the engine out. I took pictures but I don't have that cable with me so I can't post anything right now. But I pretty much have all the wiring taking off and took pictures along the way so I know what goes where later if I don't all of a sudden decide to just slap a carb on it and forget about all the electronic crap, and just make it my "toy" since i have a good reliable truck to use to drive back and forth with everyday.

As soon as I find that cable I will post some pics of what I have so far, right at this moment its just an engine sitting in the chassis needing to be taken off the transmission and unbolted from the frame and lifted out. Boy I tell ya its fun taking stuff apart but putting it back together scares me... Thats what I have Gary for
Old December 20th, 2008, 9:09 AM
CF Junior Member

I already have one

http://www.haynes.com/products/productID/246
Old December 20th, 2008, 7:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Oh...

Where can I get one?