Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

Wanting to learn more...

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2009, 10:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn sorry state of affairs here. First ozone depletion and then spousal abuse....where will it end!
Old July 24th, 2009, 8:48 AM
CF Junior Member

hey um... IM STILL ALIVE!!

i have pulled the engine, FINALLY, and have it sittin on jack stands ont eh floor, i've got a lot of the externals pulled off, now its just sittin there with the heads on it thats about it...

i need one of those spring compressors to pull the springs off, or do you guys have any other suggestions for doign that, money is still tight here

i bet you thought i had given up huh
Old July 27th, 2009, 8:43 AM
CF Junior Member

ok maybe you guys have given up on ME
Old July 27th, 2009, 8:54 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up Dvd

Yeah my hubby bought that DVD 'Basic Engine Building'. He learned a lot and now works not only on our cars, but our friends' too! I love that man.
Old July 27th, 2009, 10:28 AM
CF Junior Member

haha!! the only thing i can teach ya is that they are all insane, but you probably already knew that
Old July 27th, 2009, 4:29 PM
CF Junior Member

everything but the crank is out of the block now, the only reason this is because i have to get a hold of a tool to pull the harmonic balancer off, and i REALLY cannot afford to buy one at the moment as our income goes up and down every month...

but anyways, its almost time to start ordering parts and this is where i will need expert advise, i will probaby be ordering one of these two rebuild kits from summit racing...

http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...n/?Ns=Rank|Asc

as soon as i can figure out what the difference is between the two... :s

depending on my available funds at the time when i order parts, i might be able to manage buying a new cam to go with it, to give it some low end pulling power, but if funds are tight i will just stick with the stock cam...
Old July 28th, 2009, 8:39 AM
CF Junior Member

im telling you man, they are ALL insane i don't care who it is...

i always tell my wife this, if you want to be equal to a man, stop expecting special treatment for being a female... you want 50/50, thats fine, im all game, here is your half of the payments

i am going to be replacing the pistons in this engine, so when i get the new kit with all the new parts, i will take everything to the machine shop and tell them this is what i am planning on putting in here, do what ya gotta do...

and one thing i noticed on those two kits from summit, is that when you go to the compare view, under notes one of them says "Fits shallow oil ring groove (0.165 in.) only." and the other one doesn't...
Old September 14th, 2009, 10:26 AM
CF Junior Member

I have one question, I am also going to be replacing the cam, and I might need a little help with which one to get, I want something with a little more power but not extreme, i still want to get decent fuel mileage, so I was thinking maybe something like a stock or close-to stock cam, and maybe some 1.6 rockers to get a little more lift, but I am a newb so tell me why that wouldn't be a good idea and maybe suggest something else and why...
Old November 25th, 2009, 6:48 AM
CF Beginner

Default Wanting to learn more

The more you ride the stronger you will become.What problems did you have with 23 mile rides?