Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

06 parking brake light

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2020, 6:39 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 06 parking brake light

Spratic brake light comes on while driving. Parking brake is not on and nothing near it is hindering it. Parking brake is fully down.

Any suggestions?
thanks,
Old November 16th, 2020, 7:10 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ap4u06
Spratic brake light comes on while driving. Parking brake is not on and nothing near it is hindering it. Parking brake is fully down.

Any suggestions?
thanks,
The brake fluid level in the reservoir is probably low. Before adding any fluid, check to see how much friction material is left on the front brake pads and the rear shoes if the drums are easy to remove. Assuming you don't have any brake fluid leaks, I'm betting the front brake pads and/or rear shoes don't have much friction material left. As your brake pads/shoes wear down it's normal for the fluid level in the reservoir to decrease. You're not actually losing fluid, more of it just stays elsewhere in the hydraulic system as brake linings wear down.
Old November 17th, 2020, 9:51 AM
CF Active Member

Drove this morning and parking brake light stayed on all the time. (Changed cars and went to work) When I get home I will look and see about fluid before I go deeper. Thanks
Old November 17th, 2020, 11:02 AM
CF Monarch

Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

After you check the brake fluid level, check the switch for the parking brake. Is the ABS light on?
Old November 17th, 2020, 12:10 PM
CF Active Member

I know for sure the abs light isn’t on. Will check the switch when I check the levels.
Old November 17th, 2020, 3:49 PM
CF Active Member

Half of reservoir was empty. I filled to max line in brake cylinder. Hopefully this is all it is. I have felt worping of rotors hear pass week. Can feel it in the brake pedal as well.
Old November 17th, 2020, 4:58 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ap4u06
Half of reservoir was empty. I filled to max line in brake cylinder. Hopefully this is all it is. I have felt worping of rotors hear pass week. Can feel it in the brake pedal as well.
You should've only added the amount necessary to make the brake light go out. Now, you'll need to remove some of the fluid the next time the front pads are replaced. If you don't, the brake fluid reservoir will overflow when the caliper pistons are compressed prior to installing the new front pads. This is why I advised to check the brake pads first. As I said before, you haven't lost any brake fluid. More fluid just stays in the calipers as the pads wear and the caliper pistons extend further outward. The rear drum brakes don't hold more fluid because the wheel cylinders are forced to fully retract (by the springs) every time you let up on the brake pedal. Nothing forces the caliper pistons to fully retract until they are manually compressed during a pad replacement.

Warped rotors won't affect the brake fluid level.

Last edited by ruley73; November 17th, 2020 at 5:01 PM.
Old November 20th, 2020, 12:16 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by oldchevy
After you check the brake fluid level, check the switch for the parking brake. Is the ABS light on?
where is thee switch for the parking brake located??
Old November 20th, 2020, 2:31 PM
CF Monarch

Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

Don't know bout the Equinox, but they are usually by the parking brake pedal.
Old November 20th, 2020, 3:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

fluid takes up the space of pad when it wears away. engineers are smart...the full level to "light on" level is calibrated...when the brakes and pads are new and the fluid is at the full mark..you are good...when the pads wear down to the point of turning on the warning lamp...the pads are near the end of life. you need to have the brakes inspected. you should never need to top up brake fluid.
The following users liked this post:
ruley73 (November 20th, 2020)