Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Equinox coolant

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2016, 4:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Equinox coolant

I noticed some rust in my coolant reservoir, so I had flushed it out. But now my temperature hand is running from cold to hot fluctuating while driving and sitting still. I was thinking it could be the temp sensor but not sure, could someone help me out with this?
Old June 2nd, 2016, 5:21 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by garridd1972
I noticed some rust in my coolant reservoir, so I had flushed it out. But now my temperature hand is running from cold to hot fluctuating while driving and sitting still. I was thinking it could be the temp sensor but not sure, could someone help me out with this?
Was the cooling system properly bled after it was flushed? if not, that's probably your issue. The bleeder screw is located on top of the water pump housing. You may need to remove the engine cover to see it.
Old June 2nd, 2016, 5:36 PM
CF Beginner

Wow, then I used the wrong one. I used the one under the bottom of the radiator on the drivers side
Old June 2nd, 2016, 5:54 PM
CF Beginner

What is the one under the bottom of the radiator on the drivers side used for?
Old June 2nd, 2016, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

Never mind about that question that I asked. I understand now. After the flush I was supposed to bleed the fluid back in the motor to get rid of any air.
Old June 3rd, 2016, 2:12 AM
CF Beginner

This just keep getting worse, found radiation fluid on the ground coming from the drain petcock and cant seem to find anyone around that carries it. But can a metal petcock be used instead of a plastic one?
Old June 3rd, 2016, 6:53 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

If you can find a metal one that is identical to the original plastic part, I can't think of any reason why you couldn't use it. The OEM petcock (p/n 15781370) should be available at your local stealership for about $30 if you need it. Unless the petcock itself is damaged, you may only need to replace the o-ring. It's common for the o-ring to get damaged because the drain petcock isn't used very often and the o-ring becomes brittle with age. I've had this happen to myself a couple times on other vehicles I've owned.

Last edited by ruley73; June 3rd, 2016 at 6:59 AM.
Old June 4th, 2016, 3:37 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your help. I did found a plastic petcock and the o ring had came of the old one also. I had to also replace the thermostat. all is working fine now. the only thing left is to change the spark plugs. I'm thinking about doing it.