Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Bought 2012 Equinox in January... now aware of oil consumption issue

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2020, 8:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Bought 2012 Equinox in January... now aware of oil consumption issue

We purchased a 2012 Chevy Equinox with the 2.4L engine in January 2020. We were not aware of the oil consumption issue at the time of purchase. We did purchase an after-market warranty for 4 years or 48k miles AFTER the date of our purchase. Since the middle of March (because of COVID), we have driven the vehicle maybe three times a week. Last week we noticed a knocking noise and then the vehicle started pulsing when coming to a stop. It was due for an oil change days later, so we took it to our mechanic to have the oil changed and the issues addressed. He explained to us that there was hardly any oil on the dipstick (oil warning light never came on) and that's what was causing the issues, plus he explained the known defect with the 2.4L engines in the Equinox. He said we will most likely need a new timing belt at a tune of around $2000. He also said there were a few other things that needed fixed, and since we only have had the car a couple months, they weren't things that we would have caused in the short time we drove it. Clearly the dealership knew of these things prior to the sale.

I have been researching the class-action lawsuit against GM for the oil consumption but I'm not sure if we qualify since we just purchased the vehicle. It has 107xxx miles on it. Can anyone direct me on where to go from here? Our mechanic is checking with our warranty company to see what can be done. I don't see an actual "recall" for this engine problem, and from what I have read, GM didn't put out a recall on it. We are not "car" people so we don't know much about vehicles but we do take care of our vehicles and get them maintained as they should be.

We have contacted GM about the issue and we have also emailed the company handling the class-action lawsuit.

Thank you to anyone who can point us in a possible direction to go from here.
Old May 7th, 2020, 9:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

gm has technical service bulletins regarding how to repair this concern. your mechanic should have access to these on his service information system.

if your extended warranty doesn't cover the repair; you can join the lawsuit as long as your vehicle is in the model year range of the effected vehicles and the problem has been confirmed.
The following users liked this post:
cbaker3 (May 7th, 2020)
Old March 26th, 2021, 2:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tech2
gm has technical service bulletins regarding how to repair this concern. your mechanic should have access to these on his service information system.

if your extended warranty doesn't cover the repair; you can join the lawsuit as long as your vehicle is in the model year range of the effected vehicles and the problem has been confirmed.
How do I join? Is there a new lawsuit after the class action lawsuit from 2019? Where is the Technical service bulletins?
Old March 26th, 2021, 2:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What was the result of this- I am having the same issue, but now fall out of the 7.5 year deadline, my 2012 equinox is at 92K and needs a new engine pretty much. Timing chain, cylinder heads, bolts, etc. Looking at 6k! I still owe 10K on it and it doesn't drive anymore.
The following users liked this post:
toto77x2 (December 22nd, 2021)