Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

DRL Question

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2011, 9:32 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRL Question

Hi all,

Would anybody be kind enough to show how to disable the DRL on an 06 'nox please?

Thanks so much.

L
Old May 7th, 2011, 11:04 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lbcepe
Hi all,

Would anybody be kind enough to show how to disable the DRL on an 06 'nox please?

Thanks so much.

L
I am not sure why you would want to do this, but to each their own

Anyhow, I will try to help you as best as I can. I have never actually done this particular thing myself, but I think I may have a solution to help you with your problem.

I recently had the DRL's on our families '05 Equinox fixed as they would not come on when the car was put into drive. The green light on the dash would flash a couple of times and then go out indicating there was an issue with the DRL's. I narrowed the problem down to the DRL resistor (see pictures below). I had that resistor replaced and now the DRL's on the 'Nox are working again.

I do not mean to tell you all this for no particular reason, or to bore you with my story. To get to the point, it is in my opinion that if you remove the resistor that will simply disable the daytime running lights all together. The bad/corroded resistor is what made mine not function correctly, so I believe that by removing it all together will just make them not work. You will probably get a green flashing light (blinks I believe 5 times) every time you put the vehicle into drive, but that will go away after the few flashes and just simply go out. I had no other problems caused by the bad resistor, other then the fact that I had no DRL's.

In order to do this you will have to remove the front driver side wheel and wheel liner. After that finding and removing the resistor is fairly easy. See diagram below for more information.

I am no mechanic, so take my solution with a grain of salt. Yet, it seems logical that if a bad resistor caused my no DRL problem, then removing the resistor all together will cause your no DRL solution.

Hope that helps!!
Attached Thumbnails DRL Question-drl-resistor.jpg   DRL Question-drl-resistor-location_chevy-equinox.jpg  
Old May 8th, 2011, 12:43 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Removing the DRL resistor will disable the DRL, and have no other effect on the headlights. If you are installing HID headlamps, this is an absolutely necessary step.

If you are installing HID headlights and want to retain DRLs, you can simply unplug the DRL resistor and install a jumper in the harness, and then the DRLs will simply be headlights lit up at full power.

Just an FYI to all readers of this thread, only the 2005-2006 Equinox use the above mentioned DRL resistor; 2007+ Equinox do not have one.
Old May 10th, 2011, 10:18 AM
CF Junior Member

Hey ChevyFreak, thanks for the reply. My resistor was long gone when I bought my nox it was already corroded.

I have no DRL but I can't seem to get enough power to my ballast for my HID kit to work.

Thanks
Old May 10th, 2011, 10:21 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by ruley73
Removing the DRL resistor will disable the DRL, and have no other effect on the headlights. If you are installing HID headlamps, this is an absolutely necessary step.

If you are installing HID headlights and want to retain DRLs, you can simply unplug the DRL resistor and install a jumper in the harness, and then the DRLs will simply be headlights lit up at full power.

Just an FYI to all readers of this thread, only the 2005-2006 Equinox use the above mentioned DRL resistor; 2007+ Equinox do not have one.
Hi ruley,

"you can simply unplug the DRL resistor and install a jumper in the harness, and then the DRLs will simply be headlights lit up at full power."

Could you please elaborate perhaps some pix, if it's not too much trouble, sorry dude, I'm not a mechanic. Thanks so much
Old May 10th, 2011, 3:19 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey ChevyFreak, thanks for the reply. My resistor was long gone when I bought my nox it was already corroded.

I have no DRL but I can't seem to get enough power to my ballast for my HID kit to work.

Thanks
No Problem!! I am always happy to help, if I can!

Are you saying that the HID headlights do not work during the day when the switch is in auto, when the switch is in the on position (not auto), or all the time? The reason I ask is because I have heard of some problems with HID's caused by the '05/'06 Equinox auto function of the headlights.

I have never installed HID's on our 'Nox, but I have looked into it before. Mainly I was looking for any problems that may present itself (like the one you have mentioned) during installation. Anyhow, I saw someone on a different site mention that they had covered the light sensor to fix their problem. They made the vehicle "think" it was always nighttime.

I think what these older model vehicles are doing is sending to little power when the switch is in the auto position.

Again, I am no mechanic, so take my advice lightly. However, this is just something that I have noticed while pursuing the internet, and may present a solution for you to try.

Let me know how it goes!!
Old May 10th, 2011, 7:30 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Hi ruley,

"you can simply unplug the DRL resistor and install a jumper in the harness, and then the DRLs will simply be headlights lit up at full power."

Could you please elaborate perhaps some pix, if it's not too much trouble, sorry dude, I'm not a mechanic. Thanks so much
I can't get pics. My 'nox doesn't use a DRL resistor.

Here is a link that you might find to be useful:
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/equ...lacment-17918/

The DRL resistor is item #3. Loosen the front portion of the left front fender
liner to gain access to it. Then unplug the harness from the DRL resistor and insert a jumper to connect the two wires in the harness together. The jumper just needs to be a short length of adequate sized wire with the correct terminals to properly connect it to the two terminals in the harness to complete the circuit. Then just wrap it all with a good amount of black electrical tape to isolate the terminals & jumper from the elements so they don't corrode.

I'm sure there are plenty of tidbits to be found via Google regarding the DRL resistor.
Old May 15th, 2011, 12:50 AM
CF Junior Member

Hey Guys, thanks for all your help and all your efforts towards solving my problem. Anyways I have found a solution for my problem and thought I'd share it with you guys since I can't buy you beer.

I bought a Battery Relay Harness kit = 39.99. All you gotta do is hook it up to the battery then to the ballasts of the HID Kit 'cause since the Nox is not putting out enough power to the ballasts because of the DRL feature. What the relay harness does is it draws power direct from the battery and the cool thing about it is that it also connects to the stock headlight connection which allows you to use the stock light switch.

For your reference just in case in the future you decide to hook an HID for you 'noxes.

Anyway thanks a lot you guys.