Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Help with wrecked 2015 Equinox 2LT AWD

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2016, 3:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with wrecked 2015 Equinox 2LT AWD

Recently bought a 2015 Equinox that's been hit on the front drivers side and when you try and start the SUV all lights on the cluster are on but when you try and start it they all go out instantly as if it had a bad battery but my battery is good ......any help or suggestions? Driver airbag and both side of roof airbags deployed could this contribute to the issue? All electrical works Windows, radio ect also if I jump the starter it just spins doesn't actually jump to engage

Last edited by Hobbsy1000; August 11th, 2016 at 3:44 AM. Reason: F
Old August 11th, 2016, 8:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

how did you verify the battery was good?

the airbag deployment will not cause this.

bad battery connection can also cause this. Check the battery connections at the chassis. iirc the battery and ubec are located on the left side....they may have been damaged during the impact.
Old August 11th, 2016, 3:37 PM
CF Beginner

[QUOTE=tech2;325844]how did you verify the battery was good?

the airbag deployment will not cause this.

bad battery connection can also cause this. Check the battery connections at the chassis. iirc the battery and ubec are located on the left side....they may have been damaged during the impact.[/QUOTE

I checked the battery with a multimeter I also have checked the battery to the connecters to check for a voltage drop off the battery has 13.xx Volts and there is no volts dropped
Old August 11th, 2016, 5:35 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbsy1000
Recently bought a 2015 Equinox that's been hit on the front drivers side and when you try and start the SUV all lights on the cluster are on but when you try and start it they all go out instantly as if it had a bad battery but my battery is good ......any help or suggestions? Driver airbag and both side of roof airbags deployed could this contribute to the issue? All electrical works Windows, radio ect also if I jump the starter it just spins doesn't actually jump to engage
If this only happens when trying to start the engine, this is normal. Only the electrical circuits necessary for starting the engine remain active while the ignition switch is in the START position or when the start relay is engaged if using the remote start feature. Once the engine is started and running or if the key is returned to the RUN position all the disabled circuits become active again.

No.

If I am interpreting this correctly, the starter motor itself is working, but the pinion gear is not coming out and engaging with the flywheel/flexplate gear resulting in the engine not turning over. If this is the case you'll need to replace the starter because it is not working properly.
Old August 11th, 2016, 7:50 PM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=Hobbsy1000;325874]
Originally Posted by tech2
how did you verify the battery was good?[/QUOTE

I checked the battery with a multimeter I also have checked the battery to the connecters to check for a voltage drop off the battery has 13.xx Volts and there is no volts dropped

checking the open circuit voltage really doesn't tell much about a battery state of health. You must have current running though a circuit to do voltage drop test. Voltage drop test should show LT 0.4 volts. If you are dropping 13 volts on 12.6 is fully charged system you are doing something wrong.

Remove the battery and have it properly load tested with a carbon pile load tester or conductance tester. Checking the battery is the first step for any starting/charging diagnosis. Most part stores will test the battery for free.

The car got hit so the battery may be leaking or shorted internally. It may not even have enough power to pull the starter pinion into engagement with the flexplate. A battery with a bad cell won't work even when charging/boosting.

Last edited by tech2; August 11th, 2016 at 7:53 PM.
Old August 11th, 2016, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

I just replaced the battery with a brand new optima battery so I don't believe it's the battery in this case
Old August 11th, 2016, 8:01 PM
Super Moderator

and it only took me 3 paragraphs to pull that info out of you.
Old August 11th, 2016, 8:03 PM
Super Moderator

key or pushbutton start?
does the starter relay click when the key is turned to start? if yes, check for power at the solenoid when the key is turned to start
Old August 11th, 2016, 8:04 PM
CF Beginner

No no no I literally just changed the battery when u sent that so It didn't take u 3 paragraphs that's why I said I JUST changed the battery
Old August 11th, 2016, 8:06 PM
CF Beginner

I will have to double check when I get back home I'm off to work