Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

My DIY thread- Replacing the Front Struts on a '05 Equinox

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2011, 11:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My DIY thread- Replacing the Front Struts on a '05 Equinox

Hello again CF members!

As a favour to my daughter, I replaced the front struts on her '05 'Nox. It took me about 5 hours to perform but I was tackling the job sans an assistant (or beer) so I'm sure that someone out there could do it quicker than that Here's the procedure for replacing the front struts:

--Parts--
The struts are typically sold as kits. For instance, gmpartsgiant.com sells the said kit for $110. Thankfully, struts aren't any more expensive than shocks so you don't have to worry about being put in the poor house after shelling out an exorbitant amount of cash for replacement struts.

1) Raise and safely support the vehicle.

2) Remove the strut assembly to body fasteners.

3) Remove the wheel and tire.

4) Remove the brake hose bracket from the strut assembly.

5) Loosen, do not remove the strut to knuckle bolts and nuts.

6) Disconnect the stabilizer link from the strut assembly.

7) Remove the strut to knuckle bolts and nuts. Discard the bolts and nuts.

8) Remove the strut assembly from the vehicle.

--Installation--

1) Install the strut assembly to the vehicle. Tighten the strut to body bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).

2) Attach the strut to the steering knuckle using new bolts and nuts. Tighten the bolts and nuts to 180 Nm (133 lb ft).

3) Inspect the stabilizer link seals for damage and replace the link as necessary.

Caution: Do not allow the stabilizer link ball stud to rotate while installing the link nut.

4) Connect the stabilizer link to the strut. Tighten the nut to 65 Nm (48 lb ft).

5) Install the brake hose bracket to the strut assembly. Tighten the brake bracket bolt to 15 Nm (11 lb ft).

6) Install the wheel and tire.

7) Lower the vehicle.

8) Perform a wheel alignment.
Old October 27th, 2011, 8:52 PM
CF Beginner

I did the same for my daughter but reused the springs. I got the Monroe struts at O'reilly's I think for about $70 each. I reused the old bolts and torqued em down with the impact wrench.
Old October 27th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by skulldrinker
I did the same for my daughter but reused the springs. I got the Monroe struts at O'reilly's I think for about $70 each. I reused the old bolts and torqued em down with the impact wrench.

When at all possible using a torque wrench is best when a torque spec is provided... you can pick up a torque wrench at harbor freight on the cheap, granted they have a higher tolerance for error at least all your fasteners will be at the same spec....
Impact wrench is fine for removing but should be avoided or set to its lowest setting for tightening... Its Über important to use a torque wrench when putting your wheels on, improper torque can cause the rotors to warp...
Old January 14th, 2014, 3:14 PM
CF Beginner

Okay! I was just told that I need Struts, Sway Bars, Tires, and a Front end alignment and it would cost me around $940.00 maybe $1K. This was quoted by a mechanic that does side work and said it was a pretty good price. Is this something that I can do myself with little confusion and error. please advise.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 12:41 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do it yourself!!!

I bought struts and a wheel bearing, but the kid and car were 600 km away at university, and she said there was a loud noise from the front, which was probably the wheel bearing, so I had her take it to a local shop down there. He charged me $256.00 for the wheel bearing alone, I paid $65 for the one I got. He also tried to talk her into the struts ball joints and tires and an alignment, but I told her only the bearing.
The struts I did myself and reused the springs, it took 3 hours, the other wheel bearing is OK but I will get that in a few days. When I asked that shop manager about the ball joint, I asked if they replaced the whole control arm or just the joint, and he didn't know the difference. It is easier and less than $50 more to buy the whole control arm and ball joint with new bushings.
The thing is it is not as difficult as you might fear, I know I was worried sick about trying it because in over fifty years, l never did more that just do the rear shocks on the suspension side. I've pulled and rebuilt engines, tackled an ECU problem, but stayed away from the suspension stuff. You know last year I bought my first impact wrench, what a great tool, I can't believe I went all those years with lug wrenches and johnny bars. Anyway if you haven't tackled the suspension because it seems too difficult, roll up your sleeves and give it a go, it's only scary until you do it.