Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:48 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

p0405 low volts egr circuit, need schematic or experience on 12v feed circuit

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2011, 6:21 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

When I replaced the EGR valve on our Equinox, I used an AC Delco 214-2098. I got it from RockAuto Auto Parts. I've ordered a lot of stuff from there with good luck. The current price of that EGR valve from there is $61.79. Don't forget that you will also need a new EGR valve mounting gasket too (Fel-Pro p/n 70804 ~$3).

The grand total (including shipping) for me was about $73 a few months ago with a 5% discount code.

FWIW, I too was getting a P0405 code before I replaced the EGR valve. The SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL and SERVICE STABILITRAK messages were also displaying too. All three have went away and never came back after replacing the EGR valve and resetting the computer by pulling underhood fuse #33 (ECM BATT) for 30 seconds over three months ago.

I was happy that the T/C & Stabilitrak messages went out with it, but I never thought replacing the EGR valve would fix that too. I'm still scratching my head about that one.

I did read somewhere online a while back though that if the ECM detects that certain emissions components are not working properly that the Stabilitrak and T/C would be disabled. I find it hard to believe that a bad EGR valve would affect how those features function though.

Before I replaced the EGR Valve, the T/C & Stabilitrak messages were still there despite resetting the ECM a few times so I don't think it was just a coincidence though.

Last edited by ruley73; May 6th, 2011 at 6:23 PM.
Old May 9th, 2011, 3:36 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i found a part # #12581876 for $61, its not the same exact part number but im assuming its all the same there, and that the service at rockauto will back a return. before checking into it, we got several different prices at various autozones. the one 2nd closest to us we have it for $69, so its probably where im going to get it. the autozone down the street it was near $135. i didnt get the details yet, im guessing they were just different brands, and that i can get the lesser priced one shipped to our local autozone for free. will make for an easy return if its the wrong part, but i doubt its the wrong part if purchased over the counter.

one thing i want to do is contact the chevy dealer and see if they can get me just the sensor part, with is the plastic housed pintile and sensor that just sits on top of the EGR valve, and seals with an oring, and clamped with the metal cap. dealers are expensive, but if it comes in cheaper than $60, then it will be worth it for me. you know a dealers are so lucrative that they would have accessibility to that part to maximize their profit margins. hehe.

Last edited by wolfdogg; May 9th, 2011 at 3:40 AM.
Old May 9th, 2011, 3:54 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by ruley73
When I replaced the EGR valve on our Equinox, I used an AC Delco 214-2098. I got it from RockAuto Auto Parts. I've ordered a lot of stuff from there with good luck. The current price of that EGR valve from there is $61.79. Don't forget that you will also need a new EGR valve mounting gasket too (Fel-Pro p/n 70804 ~$3).

The grand total (including shipping) for me was about $73 a few months ago with a 5% discount code.

FWIW, I too was getting a P0405 code before I replaced the EGR valve. The SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL and SERVICE STABILITRAK messages were also displaying too. All three have went away and never came back after replacing the EGR valve and resetting the computer by pulling underhood fuse #33 (ECM BATT) for 30 seconds over three months ago.

I was happy that the T/C & Stabilitrak messages went out with it, but I never thought replacing the EGR valve would fix that too. I'm still scratching my head about that one.

I did read somewhere online a while back though that if the ECM detects that certain emissions components are not working properly that the Stabilitrak and T/C would be disabled. I find it hard to believe that a bad EGR valve would affect how those features function though.

Before I replaced the EGR Valve, the T/C & Stabilitrak messages were still there despite resetting the ECM a few times so I don't think it was just a coincidence though.
Thanks Ruley, your message has been a sigh of relief as well. i think im sure the problem will be fixed with this. how many miles did yours have when it went out. ours was at prob near 104k, its at 106-108k now.

about the traction control, AND stabilitrak, i too heard that they will disable when you get some codes, since , and can you imagine, if the traction controls misreads something it might actually cause bad traction. imagine it reading into heavy pavement on a sandy or icy turn... ouch. so it makes sense to me.

now in the past, i took the car to the dealer to take advantage of some warranty services from the resale dealer (rancho motor co.), and they couldnt seem to figure out the traction control problem, and said a sensor needed resetting before they could do any thing further. then we went back and they said they adjusted something in the steering wheel. what a hoax. especially since its tied into so many other systems, even tire pressure, and if one tire has low tread on it as well. so many variables, they didnt mention one. So i wonder now what it really was. It could have been a pending EGR code now that i think of it. But im crossing my fingers that it will go away for good as yours did (the traction control lights and stabilitrak).

Atleast i have a centech OBDII tester over here now, harbor freights top of the line tester, pretty decent tester, just doesnt actuate anything except an evap control, but does have alot of freeze frame, live, and data recording, as well as pending codes, smog readiness, and a few other nifty things. i heard sears has a couple better ones made by craftsman, and im now curious as to which one might have actuated this pintile for me, which is what i really needed.

Last edited by wolfdogg; May 9th, 2011 at 3:58 AM.
Old May 9th, 2011, 10:38 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfdogg
Thanks Ruley, your message has been a sigh of relief as well. i think im sure the problem will be fixed with this. how many miles did yours have when it went out. ours was at prob near 104k, its at 106-108k now....
To answer your question, ours had only 58K miles on it when I replaced the EGR valve. I thought that was a bit premature, but whatcha gonna do about it...

We were randomly getting the T/C & Stabilitrak messages long before the check engine light came on for the EGR valve. There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it either.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 2:06 PM
CF Junior Member

i just wanted to follow up and say that the problem is still A-OK, the fix was good. We have put on probably 20k since and no more traction control or stabilitrack lights.

i have to mention, i have made a few new posts about other problems related to leaking fuel on the top of the tank, and fuel guage malfunctioning, and steering assist went out for almost 3 months when it fixed itself one day during daily driving. so being near 120k, maintenance duty is increasing.

Its actually appearning that its not mileage that is the enemy, but time. I have higher mileage that alot of other people, but they are having the same problems as time goes by. This means that no matter how much you drive it, your still susceptible to corrosion and rubber going bad, etc...

Last edited by wolfdogg; September 3rd, 2012 at 2:08 PM.