Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2005 Equinox AC compressor issue

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2023, 6:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2005 Equinox AC compressor issue

OK. Here goes.
I have a 2005 Equinox AWD and my air compressor compressor will NOT come on. Backstory? It set for 3+ years because of life. I figured out how to reset that dang lockout that wouldn't let me start it.

So, the AC compressor won't come on and mama is getting really upset about it.

I took it to Goodricch in a nearby town. And they gave me a quote. Pumped it down, filled it and nothing. They tore into the dash and made sure I didn't have any restrictions in the line. After being there 4 hours, they told me they really didn't know what was going on. They sent me down to another place that they said had one of the best techs in the area there. I then drove down and they got me right in. Pulled the system down and refilled it, checking everything (supposedly). They decided the compressor was shot. They changed out the compressor, refilled it and still nothing. I went in and talked to the guy. I was a maintenance electrician so we went over a few things. He had swapped relays, and it made no difference. He showed me that he had 12v across the coil connector with nothing hooked to it. When he put it across the coil the voltage across the wires were less than 1v dc. He sent me home with it, but it still won't engage. I (and obviously their college trained technician) are stumped. I'm thinking connection problem somewhere between the relay box and the connector going down to the compressor. I would appreciate your help.

Thanks again and thanks for letting me be here.
Old June 8th, 2023, 11:40 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigdogdaddy
OK. Here goes.
I have a 2005 Equinox AWD and my air compressor compressor will NOT come on. Backstory? It set for 3+ years because of life. I figured out how to reset that dang lockout that wouldn't let me start it.

So, the AC compressor won't come on and mama is getting really upset about it.

I took it to Goodricch in a nearby town. And they gave me a quote. Pumped it down, filled it and nothing. They tore into the dash and made sure I didn't have any restrictions in the line. After being there 4 hours, they told me they really didn't know what was going on. They sent me down to another place that they said had one of the best techs in the area there. I then drove down and they got me right in. Pulled the system down and refilled it, checking everything (supposedly). They decided the compressor was shot. They changed out the compressor, refilled it and still nothing. I went in and talked to the guy. I was a maintenance electrician so we went over a few things. He had swapped relays, and it made no difference. He showed me that he had 12v across the coil connector with nothing hooked to it. When he put it across the coil the voltage across the wires were less than 1v dc. He sent me home with it, but it still won't engage. I (and obviously their college trained technician) are stumped. I'm thinking connection problem somewhere between the relay box and the connector going down to the compressor. I would appreciate your help.

Thanks again and thanks for letting me be here.
I think you got ripped off myself. Did your mag-clutch still operate before this mess? Why would anyone add a lock-out device? Is this your personal vehicle?

If this continues, I'd get your money back on people who have fully admitted they didn't have any idea what they were doing. Was your low-pressure sensor working properly? Did they ever even check that at all?

Threaten them with whatever passes for the Automotive Repair Bureau in your state. If they don't help, then get an attorney, if they won't comply. Threaten them with a true and honest Yelp review on them as well.