Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Battery Life

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2020, 3:13 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Battery Life

Checking the consumables on my Equinox to determine the cost and instructions on how to replace them I've learned that it takes an AGM battery that is about triple the cost of the old lead acid batteries. Any ideas on how long these AGMs last?
Old December 15th, 2020, 6:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Average battery life for automotive use - regardless of what materials they’re made from - is about 5 years.

Like most other components, it’s going to depend on your driving habits. If you mostly make short trips, the battery may not be able to completely recharge - conversely, longer drive times will allow for it.
The following users liked this post:
Xeroid (December 16th, 2020)
Old December 16th, 2020, 6:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the response. I guess I was hoping to get a cost per mile that's comparable to the old led/acid flooded batts. I'm used to seeing failure any time after 3 yrs.
The start stop feature will probably cause earlier Batt failure in that case. Thanks again!
Old December 16th, 2020, 7:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

does your vehicle have 2 batteries?. Not sure on the nox but some models have a 2ndary battery that supplies power when the engine is off in stop/start mode.
Xeroid (December 17th, 2020)
Old December 17th, 2020, 7:14 AM
CF Junior Member

I don't think so. This is another question for the tech when I go in for the next oil change. Thanks for the reponse!
Old December 17th, 2020, 12:28 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
does your vehicle have 2 batteries?. Not sure on the nox but some models have a 2ndary battery that supplies power when the engine is off in stop/start mode.
As far as I can tell, the 2018+ Equinox models with stop/start still only use one battery.

The 2 battery setups are common, but I think they're a terrible way of implementing engine stop/start (ESS). The way most 2 battery systems are configured, if one battery starts to go bad, it becomes a parasitic drain to the other one. They're wired in parallel with each other most of the time, but are electrically separated during an ESS event. Our 2018 Chrysler Pacifica has ESS with a 2 battery setup, and premature battery failures are extremely common. Some owners have had their batteries replaced two or three times under warranty. I think in the case of the Pacifica though, the main battery isn't powerful enough from the start.

As far as the original inquiry goes, I highly recommend only using an AGM battery if that's what the vehicle originally came with. AGM batteries tend to last longer than conventional flooded-lead acid batteries in most situations. When compared to a conventional battery of the same size, you'll find that AGM batteries have significantly more power capacity. They also have better drain/charge characteristics which makes them better suited for newer vehicles that apply deeper drain/charge cycles to it than older vehicles did.

Last edited by ruley73; December 17th, 2020 at 12:31 PM.
Old December 18th, 2020, 7:51 AM
CF Junior Member

I won't use a lead acid battery unless it's an emergency. Another story I got from the dealer (salesman) is that the alternator is used to start the engine in start/stop mode. Anyone know if that's true?
Old December 18th, 2020, 10:02 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Xeroid
I won't use a lead acid battery unless it's an emergency. Another story I got from the dealer (salesman) is that the alternator is used to start the engine in start/stop mode. Anyone know if that's true?
This is true for some applications (FCA's eTorque comes to mind), but is completely false on the Equinox. The 2018-2021 Equinox actually uses an "enhanced" starter in which the starter motor and pinion gear are separately controlled/engaged. The link below does a good job explaining how it works, and why it's needed.

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=8493
tech2 (December 18th, 2020)
Old December 18th, 2020, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

the second battery situation can cause problems. Knowing what build you have and finding the 2nd battery is hard with aftermarket service information. If they are not isolated during testing a bad battery can test good.
ruley73 (December 18th, 2020)