Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Fuel Gauge issue

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2021, 6:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Fuel Gauge issue

Recently purchased a used 2017 Equinox, always owned Trailblazers, NEVER a issue, but screen this vehicle prior to purchase, first road trip found that the fuel gauge lies and found myself stranded on hwy, Had car towed to chevy repair shop to diagnose the problem, got the call no fuel in tank, sending unit failure, quoted parts 13506192 & 13506694 which are fuel pump and sensor respectfully, is it necessary to replace fuel pump to fix gas gauge reading issues?
Old October 26th, 2021, 7:18 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Longtime Chevy
Recently purchased a used 2017 Equinox, always owned Trailblazers, NEVER a issue, but screen this vehicle prior to purchase, first road trip found that the fuel gauge lies and found myself stranded on hwy, Had car towed to chevy repair shop to diagnose the problem, got the call no fuel in tank, sending unit failure, quoted parts 13506192 & 13506694 which are fuel pump and sensor respectfully, is it necessary to replace fuel pump to fix gas gauge reading issues?
Did the indicated range in the cluster reflect what the gauge was telling you? The fuel gauge in ours is wonky sometimes, but the indicated range/miles to empty is always accurate. If yours is behaving the same way, the sensor is fine and the gauge itself in the cluster is bad.

To answer your question, it's not necessary to replace the pump if only the sensor is bad and they're sold separately. Also, if your Equinox is like the older ones (and I believe it is) there are actually two fuel level sensors. The saddle design of the fuel tank requires there to be a sensor on each side of the tank. It straddles the exhaust/rear driveaxle tunnel.

Last edited by ruley73; October 26th, 2021 at 7:24 PM.
Old October 28th, 2021, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

When my vehicle ran out, gauge indicated 1/2 tank. I didn't check miles till empty. The age of my Equinox is 2017 and 37,500M / 60,300Km.
Old October 29th, 2021, 8:36 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Put some Seafoam or Techron in your tank. Had a Vette that would go funny every so often and this did the trick. This has been mentioned on various sites and it usually works. Something about copper parts in the fuel level sensor corroding and giving inaccurate readings. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
ruley73 (October 29th, 2021)
Old October 29th, 2021, 9:37 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by bearbait
Put some Seafoam or Techron in your tank. Had a Vette that would go funny every so often and this did the trick. This has been mentioned on various sites and it usually works. Something about copper parts in the fuel level sensor corroding and giving inaccurate readings. Good luck.
Thanks for the tip, worth a try
Old October 29th, 2021, 9:10 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by bearbait
GM had a TSB many years ago that recommended Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner in the black bottle to clean sulfur off the contacts on fuel sending units. I can tell you based on firsthand experience that it works.
Old October 29th, 2021, 10:37 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ruley73
GM had a TSB many years ago that recommended Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner in the black bottle to clean sulfur off the contacts on fuel sending units. I can tell you based on firsthand experience that it works.
I couldn't find any Techron products, I was able to pick up Sea foam and giving it try.
Old October 30th, 2021, 9:55 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by Longtime Chevy
I couldn't find any Techron products, I was able to pick up Sea foam and giving it try.
Availability may be different in Canada, but here in the USA it's sold at virtually all auto parts stores, Walmart, and even some convenience stores/truck stops. I doubt Seafoam will work because it contains a very different blend of chemicals.
Old November 1st, 2021, 3:16 AM
CF Beginner

yes, You are saying right. Similarly Once a Company Dallas Taxi 247. He Provides the Taxi Service in garland They have no Fuel gauge issue create.