Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

How do I find my rain leak

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2024, 2:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy How do I find my rain leak

My 2014 Chevy Equinox has been getting a wet cabin roof when it rains for a couple years now. It did not seem to bad at first, until i noticed the car has an odor in the summer months, and the past few months I have been noticing water stains on my passenger side doors and the seats were damp after it rains. A window guy looked at it and it is not my front windshield. The car has no sun roof, no roof rack, I have never put anything on the roof and I have never had an accident. The roof is wet from the about the middle of the car to the front. It is not my antenna either that is located in the back of the car. After searching the internet I saw a some posts and videos about the weather stripping on the top of the car, one on each side. I had someone take them off, clean them out and put more sealant in them. So the first few rains we had I was happy to say my doors or seats were not wet, my roof still feels damp, could be from old rain which is going to take a while to dry during the winter months. Its now been a few months since this was done, we had a lot of rain this week and there is still no water stains on the doors and no wet seats, but my roof feels very wet. Has anyone had these issues with a wet roof and no sun roof?

I am hesitant to take my car to a dealer as there is no longer a warranty and I refuse to pay a dime to a dealer for this issue, as it is obviously a manufacturer defect.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Beth

Last edited by Beth511; January 30th, 2024 at 2:39 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old January 30th, 2024, 2:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 658 Likes on 597 Posts

You'll have to drop the headliner, and experiment with a garden hose.
Old January 30th, 2024, 7:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 213 Likes on 187 Posts

Finding leaks is often frustraating and time consuming, Another thing to try is turn your blower on high and spray soapy water on the roof, look for bubbles indicating air leaking out. I had a sneaky leak in my 93 Suburban that I had to mount a blower in the window to pressurize the interior enough to find the leak. Mine was a poor body seam seal. Good luck & report findings please!
The following users liked this post:
mountainmanjoe (January 30th, 2024)
Old January 30th, 2024, 8:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 658 Likes on 597 Posts

Rednucleus's trick is a good one too. You may need to block your car's exhaust vents first.
The following users liked this post:
Rednucleus (January 30th, 2024)