Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Interior lights and alarm going on after turning off the engine

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2020, 3:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior lights and alarm going on after turning off the engine

Battery dead first thing in the morning. Husband jumps it off and went to work. Ten minutes after car was off the interior lights come on and alarm (horn) starts going off. After stopping it with key , it does it again a couple of hours later, by the end of the day battery dead again. Bought new battery, same problem. Each night we have disconnected battery until he can figure it out. Any suggestions please.
Old August 1st, 2020, 11:07 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Annette Fonseca
Battery dead first thing in the morning. Husband jumps it off and went to work. Ten minutes after car was off the interior lights come on and alarm (horn) starts going off. After stopping it with key , it does it again a couple of hours later, by the end of the day battery dead again. Bought new battery, same problem. Each night we have disconnected battery until he can figure it out. Any suggestions please.
What year is your Equinox?
Old August 2nd, 2020, 9:22 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ruley73
What year is your Equinox?
it is a 2008.
Old August 2nd, 2020, 7:34 PM
CF Pro Member

it is a 2008.
Has this been an ongoing problem or did it just start after needing to jump start it the one morning?
Does the alarm still go off if you don't lock the doors?
Old August 3rd, 2020, 9:17 AM
CF Beginner

It just started the morning he had to jump start the battery. I did not lock my car doors at home and it would still go off. He unplugged the driver door actuator and it has stopped for now. Unsure if it is definitely that or BCM. He changed that door actuator within the last 6 months for another issue that was never solved. That issue was: the radio would stay on when engine is turned off and when the door opens it stays on. So I have to manually turn off the radio each time. Also not all of the doors lock and unlock properly with key fab.
Old August 3rd, 2020, 11:12 AM
CF Pro Member

It just started the morning he had to jump start the battery. I did not lock my car doors at home and it would still go off. He unplugged the driver door actuator and it has stopped for now. Unsure if it is definitely that or BCM. He changed that door actuator within the last 6 months for another issue that was never solved. That issue was: the radio would stay on when engine is turned off and when the door opens it stays on. So I have to manually turn off the radio each time. Also not all of the doors lock and unlock properly with key fab.
Check for broken wires inside the rubber boot in the driver's door jamb. It's pretty common for these wires to go bad with age and cause weird anomalies. Although, it's not impossible, I doubt the BCM is bad. It's pretty rare for it to fail in these models.
Old August 3rd, 2020, 8:27 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ruley73
Check for broken wires inside the rubber boot in the driver's door jamb. It's pretty common for these wires to go bad with age and cause weird anomalies. Although, it's not impossible, I doubt the BCM is bad. It's pretty rare for it to fail in these models.
Thank you, he found four broken wires where you said. He repaired them and it is working fine so far.
Old August 3rd, 2020, 9:23 PM
CF Pro Member

Thank you, he found four broken wires where you said. He repaired them and it is working fine so far.
You're welcome! I'm happy I was able to help you get it fixed.

Thank you for telling us what your solution was. It may help someone else having a similar problem in the future. People often ask for help and get the problem fixed, but don't post back again to tell us what the solution was.