Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Side mirror problem 0n 2019 Equinox

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2020, 9:32 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Side mirror problem 0n 2019 Equinox

Our 2019 Equinox has an intermittent problem with the driver side mirror. We have the feature that changes the mirror settings to the current drivers preferences. After setting the mirror settings when we first got the car in march it worked perfectly until about August. We have the rear view camera and the option to turn the mirrors down to watch the area near the rear wheels activated. Here's what it does. With the mirrors set for me when I turn the engine off the mirror stays in the set position. When I open the door the mirror goes to a position that leaves me looking at the door handles. The passenger side mirror stays in the set position. When I reenter and start the vehicle the driver side mirror goes to the set position most of the time. Sometimes it goes to a position past the set point and others it will go to the set position. When I put the car in reverse it will sometimes go to the set position and jump in or out to adjust the position so I'm looking at the rear wheel not the area next to it. Then when I put the car in drive the mirror will stop at a position with it looking at the driver side window. Sometimes it will translate to the left and find the proper set pont it. I've had it back to the dealer twice and both times they say the saw notml operation. They are seeing the same thing I am when I use the car. What I'm asking is if anyone here has had similar problem?
The following 2 users liked this post by Xeroid:
kstempler (February 19th, 2021), TheGodfather (November 27th, 2021)
Old December 29th, 2020, 3:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having this same issue with my 2019 Equinox. I purchased the vehicle last December and did not have the mirror issue until around mid-September. The issue began shortly before the vehicle prompted a system update, and I just assumed it may have been connected to that, but not sure. I have not yet taken it to the dealership. I thought the issue was confusion with both key fobs being in the car; however, it still happens when only one is in the car. It primarily occurs with my fob/settings which are Driver 1. It has occasionally occurred with my husband's Driver 2 fob. It's only the driver's side mirror - sometimes it will go all the way inward when I start my car to go to work. I reset my settings. By the time I get into my car to go home from work - sometimes it will stay put, sometimes it will go inward again, but sometimes it will go all the way outward. There's no consistency other than the fact there's a consistent issue. The passenger side mirror and seat memory positions always remain as they have been set for each driver. So far, I've found no pattern to when it occurs, so if you figure anything out from yours, please post!
The following users liked this post:
TheGodfather (November 27th, 2021)
Old February 19th, 2021, 3:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had the same issues. When you set the memory features for seat and mirrors, it holds. Then randomly when you enter the car the side mirrors change positions requiring you to reset them. Seems to happen more when you reset the seat position. It's actually quite dangerous if you forget to reset them. You go to change lanes and can't see cars that might be in the way. I've had it into the dealer 3 times and the last time the changed out the memory module. Unfortunately, it did not help. I'm wondering if there was a software update around the September timeframe. Love the car, hate the issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by kstempler:
TheGodfather (November 27th, 2021), tjmitche (September 17th, 2022)
Old February 19th, 2021, 9:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by kstempler
I have had the same issues. When you set the memory features for seat and mirrors, it holds. Then randomly when you enter the car the side mirrors change positions requiring you to reset them. Seems to happen more when you reset the seat position. It's actually quite dangerous if you forget to reset them. You go to change lanes and can't see cars that might be in the way. I've had it into the dealer 3 times and the last time the changed out the memory module. Unfortunately, it did not help. I'm wondering if there was a software update around the September timeframe. Love the car, hate the issue.
I've had the problem appear the way both respondents describe. It's been stable for months nd last week it did it once and is OK again. I'm going to disable the tilt down when in reverseand see if that stops it. Won't know for months tho!
The following 2 users liked this post by Xeroid:
Old March 19th, 2021, 9:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Add me to the list of 2019 Equinox owners with this problem. We bought the car in January 2019. Memory seats and mirrors worked like a charm. We have two fobs connected to the system.
I also have the seat automatically go back to exit .
This problem seems to have started in October 2020. (5 months ago).
I originally thought my son had made a memory setting change when he and my wife took a long trip. So I reset all the memory settings.
But it didn't make any difference. I've reset a couple of times: my seat and mirror position; seat exit position; and I have automatic tilt down disabled in vehicle settings.
It's only the driver's outside mirror and the positioning is random. Sometimes it goes up slightly. Sometimes it goes down. Sometimes is stays the same.
Like SMatney, I haven't been able to figure out any consistency to the movement.
I haven't brought it to the dealer for this. It does sound like a programming issue.
Please let me know if anyone has had any success at the dealership or any system updates.
Thanks,
Steve
The following 2 users liked this post by SandyRidge:
Old March 21st, 2021, 1:54 PM
CF Junior Member

No success with the dealer whatsoever. Personally, I think I know more about their systems and what they're supposed to do than the dealers do. Mine has been good with only one incident since I reported the last one. The best I can now describe it is that it's developed a syndrome! We had a big storm here last month with abojut a foot of snow and the water in the mirrors froze and rendered them unmovable.
Dealer knowledge of features is sketchy.

I'm not so sure about it being a programming issue. I dealt with machines that counted on the ability to make changes in the position of mechanical components based on a program input. The command to move and where to go comes from the program that gets its data from the set points entered by the user. On these cars the set points don't seem to be verified by the device when it moves the mechanical part. They don't appear to have a verification of the part being in the proper place. The computer seems to tell the component to move then doesn't check to see if it either did or went to the right place. If the saved set points data are corrupted then the thing will act like this too. That's a pretty high probability in my mind.

Last edited by Xeroid; March 21st, 2021 at 2:03 PM.
Old May 21st, 2021, 3:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe how ineffective Chevrolet is. Have been getting bounced around at corporate since the dealership can't fix the issue. They pushed me to corp and even provided a case number. I took to social media and SURPRISE Chevrolet responded immediately. They are trying to send me to yet another dealership.
Old May 21st, 2021, 5:25 PM
CF Junior Member

I got a run around when I tried to get the issue escalated. My sense is that there either is no corporate level facility or interest in addressing these issues. It appears that this kind of response causes their service organization to be ineffective and isolated from the tech knowledge and training to address the issues. About all this does IMO is to give the whole product a black eye.
I wonder, could this kind of response to seemingly minor issues bea way of avoiding having to recall vehicleswith these defects?
Old August 26th, 2021, 1:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same issue

Originally Posted by Xeroid
I've had the problem appear the way both respondents describe. It's been stable for months nd last week it did it once and is OK again. I'm going to disable the tilt down when in reverseand see if that stops it. Won't know for months tho!
Q
I also disabled the tilt down option. No change.
Mine is the passenger side only. Tilts we at down and in at random times.
Old August 26th, 2021, 6:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Mine has gotten worse now and is approaching the point where it might raise the confidence level that it'll do it for the dealer and hit them again. Still the same. It doesn't come out of the "parked" position or comes out partially when I start the car. After a couple of restarts it returns to normal operation. The problem I had was I was readjusting the mirrors and setting it in memory only to have it screw it up when it worked right again. Now I simply move the mirror to a satiafactory position and don't save it. That way when it starts working right I don't have to reset and save again.
OBTW Had another problem related to electronic controls. While driving thru Oklahoma into N. Texas in driving rains for about 200 miles we stropped in Amarillo for the night. In the morning I couldn't get the cruise control to engage. Drove into the late afternoon before It would engage. Only thing I could think of was water in a connector. After we got back home I took it to the dealer to get it fixed thinking there had to be a record of the message in memory. It did display a message to check the ECU. Wrong!!! I was informed that the data is erased after a certain number of restarts!! Didn't know that. Just another point of painful frustration to contend with.

Quick Reply: Side mirror problem 0n 2019 Equinox