Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Side mirror problem 0n 2019 Equinox

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2023, 9:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2019 Equinox Premier side view mirror problems

This is my first GM car. My side view mirror problems began shortly after I bought it. When I first began bringing it back to the dealer with this problem it was still under warranty. Each time the dealer claimed they could not replicate the problem. A handful of times I even demonstrated the problem to the service advisors while I explained the issue to them. A couple of times they had mechanics and, once even their chief mechanic (he was a supervisor or somebody higher than just a mechanic) come and replicate the issue before it was written up and I was still in the service area. When I went to pick it up, I got the same story, no trouble found. Finally, I contacted GM customer service, They claimed they had no record of such issues involving Equinox. Upon their recommendation I took it to another Chevy dealer. This time GM tech desk was involved. They recommended replacing the actuator. After almost $1000.00 (repairs + car rental) I was less than a quarter mile away when I noticed the mirrors had on their own re=set themselves from the settings I had made before I pulled out of the dealer's parking lot. Upon yet more discussions with GM's customer service i was asked to take it back again for further diagnosis. This time they, upon recommendation from GM tech desk, replaced driver's door switch. Again, less than a quarter mile from the dealer's same issue recurred. Again, I called GM customer service. They recommended I take it to yet another Chevy dealer. When I asked them to explain what they would do next and why further diagnosis was required they couldn't explain. So, here I am months later and out over a ton of out-of-pocket expense (not to mention having to use vacation time for these runarounds) and the problem remains unfixed. I have explained to GM customer service multiple times about the seriousness of this issue from standpoint of safety and they show no concern.
Old February 24th, 2023, 7:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dam5988
This is my first GM car. My side view mirror problems began shortly after I bought it. When I first began bringing it back to the dealer with this problem it was still under warranty. Each time the dealer claimed they could not replicate the problem. A handful of times I even demonstrated the problem to the service advisors while I explained the issue to them. A couple of times they had mechanics and, once even their chief mechanic (he was a supervisor or somebody higher than just a mechanic) come and replicate the issue before it was written up and I was still in the service area. When I went to pick it up, I got the same story, no trouble found. Finally, I contacted GM customer service, They claimed they had no record of such issues involving Equinox. Upon their recommendation I took it to another Chevy dealer. This time GM tech desk was involved. They recommended replacing the actuator. After almost $1000.00 (repairs + car rental) I was less than a quarter mile away when I noticed the mirrors had on their own re=set themselves from the settings I had made before I pulled out of the dealer's parking lot. Upon yet more discussions with GM's customer service i was asked to take it back again for further diagnosis. This time they, upon recommendation from GM tech desk, replaced driver's door switch. Again, less than a quarter mile from the dealer's same issue recurred. Again, I called GM customer service. They recommended I take it to yet another Chevy dealer. When I asked them to explain what they would do next and why further diagnosis was required they couldn't explain. So, here I am months later and out over a ton of out-of-pocket expense (not to mention having to use vacation time for these runarounds) and the problem remains unfixed. I have explained to GM customer service multiple times about the seriousness of this issue from standpoint of safety and they show no concern.

Please keep us updated. To date this is the only forum I have found for the problem, been a part of it since 2021. Been dealing with it for some time and hoping someone in the forum will have success. I still think it's a moister or water problem. Im in tampa and ive noticed it happen more during the rainy season. But who knows. At some point GM is going to have to recognize the problem and find a solution for the mechanics. Ive talked with several GM mechanics and they really dont do anything besides wait for bulletins to come their way from GM so they can follow the process to fix the problem. Mechanics aren't mechanics anymore, they just follow the designated steps from the higher ups.
Old February 24th, 2023, 8:40 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by simon.crim
Please keep us updated. To date this is the only forum I have found for the problem, been a part of it since 2021. Been dealing with it for some time and hoping someone in the forum will have success. I still think it's a moister or water problem. Im in tampa and ive noticed it happen more during the rainy season. But who knows. At some point GM is going to have to recognize the problem and find a solution for the mechanics. Ive talked with several GM mechanics and they really dont do anything besides wait for bulletins to come their way from GM so they can follow the process to fix the problem. Mechanics aren't mechanics anymore, they just follow the designated steps from the higher ups.
Hi Simon,
I will be consulting soon with a law firm that specializes on Lemon Laws. What galls me is the similarity of response from the dealers and GM customer service claiming that my issue was a one-of-a-kind outlier. Stay tuned.
Old March 27th, 2023, 12:50 AM
CF Beginner

I am having the same problem on my 2019 Equinox Premier.

Does anyone know of a solution to this problem?

Thanks
Old March 27th, 2023, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Classic-Chevy-Guy
I am having the same problem on my 2019 Equinox Premier.

Does anyone know of a solution to this problem?

Thanks
Here's an update since my last post: I contacted a law firm which specializes in lemon laws. In fact, that is the only type of work they undertake. I had to submit some documents for their review and to determine if I had legal grounds before they agreed to take my case. In addition, I called NTSB and filed a complaint with them. Their Office of Defects gave me a number for my complaint and advised me that someone would be following up with me. I urge all of you to do the same. Don't let the dealers and GM shrug this off as a non-issue.
Old June 22nd, 2023, 7:29 AM
CF Beginner

Here's an update since my last post: I contacted a law firm which specializes in lemon laws. In fact, that is the only type of work they undertake. I had to submit some documents for their review and to determine if I had legal grounds before they agreed to take my case. In addition, I called NTSB and filed a complaint with them. Their Office of Defects gave me a number for my complaint and advised me that someone would be following up with me. I urge all of you to do the same. Don't let the dealers and GM shrug this off as a non-issue.
Anything ever come of this?
Old June 22nd, 2023, 8:32 AM
CF Beginner

The law firm wanted to file a lawsuit against GM after receiving GM's response. In the meantime, NTSB came back to me and asked for details and all relevant documentation about this issue. I have submitted everything to them. I will see how this unfolds since this is, ultimately, a safety issue.
I urge all of you to contact NTSB and bring your own experience to their attention. I believe GM is dismissing this issue as they do not think a mobilized effort could be mounted against them to address this matter. They should be forced to address this issue to their customers' satisfaction. Thanks.

Originally Posted by simon.crim
Anything ever come of this?
The following users liked this post:
vast8fm (August 22nd, 2023)
Old August 22nd, 2023, 8:12 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue!

I am having the same issue and has been going on for over a year

The law firm wanted to file a lawsuit against GM after receiving GM's response. In the meantime, NTSB came back to me and asked for details and all relevant documentation about this issue. I have submitted everything to them. I will see how this unfolds since this is, ultimately, a safety issue.
I urge all of you to contact NTSB and bring your own experience to their attention. I believe GM is dismissing this issue as they do not think a mobilized effort could be mounted against them to address this matter. They should be forced to address this issue to their customers' satisfaction. Thanks.