Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Side mirror problem 0n 2019 Equinox

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2022, 5:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like some progress has happened. When I started trying to get the problem last year the dealer, over a three month period, changed the mirror assy, then the seat memory. I waited for a week or two between each visit to allow for the thing to fail enough to convince them that it wasn't fixed. I then made copies of the postings here with the source and other ID info removed. I learned that they were on with GM tech support. It took time but they were finally convinced them that I wasn't crazy. On the last visit about three weeks ago, after telling them I could get the mirror to move by giving the door a bump with my left knee and it did it for them the ordered the switch! Replaced it yesterday and all the screwy antics quit and it now works normally. I told them if it works for a couple of weeks I'll call back in a week or two. I'll post here as well.
I forgot to mention a new trick it was doing near the end. With the mirror set properly after driving down the road a few miles it would "creep" to the left finally giving a view of the landscape off to the left. I never noticed it was moving until I needed to use it. Big safety issue. Wife didn't want to drive it.

Last edited by Xeroid; January 27th, 2022 at 5:44 PM. Reason: more info
Old February 8th, 2022, 10:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2019 Equinox is in for the third time for the exact problem you have stated. Since it is a random, but frequently occurring problem, it is difficult to duplicate at the dealer. We do have an Allstate module plugged in for insurance monitoring, and when the service advisor saw it he said they have been known to cause intermittent problems. I was wondering if the battery age could be a factor, but hesitant to mention that, for fear they would agree and sell me a new one on the spot, but would voltage spikes/variations cause a similar problem? Frustrating for sure.
Old February 9th, 2022, 11:27 AM
CF Beginner

I have had this problem on my 2018 Equinox Premier since last summer, and have posted here previously. I have had it into the dealer 8 times now. Sometimes I left it with them for a week, so they could be there when it does it. Its dangerous to drive, so I lived without it. We thought we had it fixed in early December, but on Christmas Eve it acted up again, and wouldn't stop. I switched off the Reverse Tilt feature for all of January, and after about 2 weeks it started acting up even then, pointing skyward intermittently. I called GM Customer Service and they started a file. The first person who called me back suggested I take it to a different dealer. I didn't buy that, since my dealer has been great in working with me on this. The second GM person who called has been GREAT. She discussed the problem with me, contacted the dealer, and has been following up every few days. I took it in this week. If course it was behaving fine that day, but I left it with them, they are going to talk with next level GM Tech, and if GM has found the problem, I am optimistic it will be fine. Surely GM is treating it as a known problem by now, given all the people on this forum who have this problem, and the safety aspect of it. This is not like a radio that stopped working. I have nothing but praise for my dealer and for GM Customer Service. Now we just have to get it fixed.
Old March 20th, 2022, 11:13 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Almos two months since the dealer changed the window switch in the driver side door and the mirror is still working properly.
The following users liked this post:
simon.crim (April 25th, 2022)
Old April 18th, 2022, 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

When I get into my 2019 Chevrolet Impala Premier and start it, all memory settings are going to the normal set points. When I put the vehicle in reverse, the mirror angles down as normal. When I shift it into drive or park at that point, the mirror moves up slightly and then starts moving as if it's stuck on something and stops. The odd part about this is that if I switch it to a manual operation and move it to where it should be, it freely moves with no issue. Moved like stuck on auto-return, but freely by my hand? No hindrance or lack of fluid movement at all.

The other odd part about this is that if I hold down memory setting number one (which is mine), the mirror will move to the set point. As will the passenger mirror. Yet, if I then hold down memory button one again, the passenger mirror will stay in its set point (due to the fact that it's already where it's set to be) and the driver mirror will move slightly inward and sometimes slightly upward. This will continue to happen every single time I hold down memory button one. The driver side mirror continues to move even though it's already in the place it should be and was set to, while the passenger side mirror operates normally and stays still (where it should and is set to be). T

Again, this is confusing because each time that I put it in reverse, it moves fluidly down to where it should be and then as I shift to park or drive, the mirror moves up in tiny little movements and stops. Again if I move it by switching it manually it moves completely free and fluid in every direction with every command.

The car is in the shop for the third time in the last 3 years. It's got to be a quality related issue on GM's side. Memory seat module and mirror control module in door have been replaced. Fails every 4 months or so. Time to go to a foreign car.
Old April 25th, 2022, 3:18 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Xeroid
Almos two months since the dealer changed the window switch in the driver side door and the mirror is still working properly.

Thank you for all the information, can you confirm that it is still working properly? Also a few requests:
- Can you provide a detailed list of what all the shop replaced leading up to them replacing the window switch.
- Did GM tech support provide you with any reference numbers for a case they started for the problem? So if I call them I could provide them a number or something so that they can pull up any information they have collected about the problem.

Thanks so much!
Old April 27th, 2022, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mbries
My mirror started acting up again. Just got it back from the dealer yesterday. This time they replaced the driver seat adjuster memory module (23338340).

Here's the text from the dealer invoice...
32093 Internal circuit short causing intermittent mirror movement. Tested power and ground circuits for window switch and memory seat control module, each circuit tested OK. Monitored voltage for LIN bus circuit for memory seat module to window switch. LIN bus circuit tests OK and parameters are within spec.While monitoring data for mirror commands in the memory seat control module, found that intermittently the driver mirror motor would receive a command for movement but only for an instant. Although mirror did not move when instant happened, replaced memory seat control module as concern and the event would only happen upon start up of vehicle.
Here's the history of my Equinox and this issue:
  • Sep-2020: Replace drivers outside rearview mirror (84604256)
  • Sep-2021: Replace front side door window control switch (84512890)
  • Oct-2021: Reprogrammed memory seat control module.
  • Dec-2021: Driver seat adjuster memory module replacement (23338340)
Warranty was over in early December. They still covered this last update, but made it sound like that is no longer a guarantee (even though it was identified and failed to be repaired while under warranty).
Just looking for an update, is the mirror still workings like it should?
Old June 30th, 2022, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by simon.crim
Just looking for an update, is the mirror still workings like it should?
Sorry for the delayed response! All has been working since December. That is until about a week ago.
The driver's side mirror is again not returning to the saved memory position, but usually it is pointed so I see the ground on the side of the car. At this point I'm way out of warranty and all previous repairs seemed to have an impact, but not really fix the issue. That being said, I won't be paying the dealer to figure it out.
I've turned off the option that automatically sets the mirrors to the memory of the fob it detects. We can still press the button to return to 1/2 memory settings (albeit with a wacky drivers side mirror), but at least it doesn't automatically adjust every time the same driver starts the car multiple times per day. The 2019 Equinox is my wife's daily driver and I use it occasionally. We'll live with this work around until I come across something that is a for sure fix (which hopefully I can do myself in my garage!).
Old June 30th, 2022, 7:42 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mbries
Sorry for the delayed response! All has been working since December. That is until about a week ago.
The driver's side mirror is again not returning to the saved memory position, but usually it is pointed so I see the ground on the side of the car. At this point I'm way out of warranty and all previous repairs seemed to have an impact, but not really fix the issue. That being said, I won't be paying the dealer to figure it out.
I've turned off the option that automatically sets the mirrors to the memory of the fob it detects. We can still press the button to return to 1/2 memory settings (albeit with a wacky drivers side mirror), but at least it doesn't automatically adjust every time the same driver starts the car multiple times per day. The 2019 Equinox is my wife's daily driver and I use it occasionally. We'll live with this work around until I come across something that is a for sure fix (which hopefully I can do myself in my garage!).

Thanks for the update. I personally replaced the driver side mirror control and it didn’t fix the problem. Not going to spend the money to replace stuff you all have already tried and it didn’t work.

I still think it’s a water leak somewhere that is causing a short. I am in FL and it seems to act up most when we get a good rain. This forum is literally the only thing on the web about this problem and the Chevy technicians I’ve talked with have no idea it’s even a problem and have no bulletins about it on their end. Guess I’ll check back from time to time and see if any new developments come up
Old October 18th, 2022, 4:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2019 Equinox side mirror FIX

I’ve had the same problem with my side mirror as stated in this thread. Third visit to the dealer and we found the fix.
1. Set the mirror in the position you want it to stay in.
2. Position your seat into the exit position you desire. 3. Press the set button (where you set the driver seat position set) then press the button above driver 2 (exit settings button).
Your mirror should never change position again!

Quick Reply: Side mirror problem 0n 2019 Equinox