Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New driver's side mirror has a mind of its own

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2010, 11:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New driver's side mirror has a mind of its own

I have a 2004 Suburban Z71. Driver's side mirror was smashed by a passing truck after I parked on a narrow street (beware the streets in downtown Hamburg, PA!).

Since the mirror has the LED turn signal, puddle light, defrost and aiming motors, I figured it would be expensive to have a dealer replace it. I found a new replacement mirror online (innerauto.com, $196) and installed it myself.

The turn signal and puddle light work as expected. Mirror aiming, however, is totally out of control. When I unlock the car using the key fob, the mirror moves to the extreme down position. I can manually readjust it using the four-way button on the inside of the door, so the wiring seems okay. All attempts to set new positions using the programming button on the door fail -- the next time I unlock the car, the mirror moves back to the extreme down position. Any position I program it for is ignored.

I suspect this has something to do with some computer in the car. What's going on? What are my options for getting the mirror to behave properly again? Is this something I can correct myself? If so, how? Or will I have to take the car to a dealer?

Thanks for your help.
Old January 16th, 2010, 2:12 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Not sure but I'll bet you're right about it being the BCM.
Old January 17th, 2010, 9:33 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the welcome.

I disconnected the battery for five minutes and grounded the cables for good measure, but that didn't solve the problem.
Old November 6th, 2011, 8:23 PM
CF Beginner

Exclamation Mine does the same thing--have you found a solution?

Have you found a solution to your problem? I am having the SAME problem!! I had to change out my motor and now the mirror moves to the extreme right...SOOOOO annoying.