Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

98 tahoe starter has a mind of its own

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2012, 7:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 tahoe starter has a mind of its own

did the nv3500 swap.have been driving it for awhile with NO problems till yesterday. we were driving it home about 55 or 60 mph and all of a sudden there was a loud buzzing or humming noise and i was like oh crap so i pulled over as quick as i could . i just knew that there was something bad wrong with the trans swap .didnt see anything so i started it back and pulled out with no problems . when it got back to 55 or 60 it done it again . we were near the hospital so i pulled in there and checked it again still nothing, by this time the wife and kids were tripping out.i sat in the parking lot puzzled.then i had my wife start it again sitting still and i waited and waited then all of a sudden the noise came again but i discovered that the starter was flying in and out or cranking on its on while the engine was running. so i turned it off again and checked the flywheel for damage and luckly there was none.so i had to figure out how to get it home.i told the wife to start it and when it started i would cut the "solonid" wire with a pocket knife and leave it running to get it home and it worked but i cant figure out whats going on. maybe the ignition switch? or a shorted out wire or the starter but it just started this all of a sudden . if anyone has had this happen before i need help troubleshooting this problem.