Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2010 Express 2500 OEM License plate/Door Handle with camera mount

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2018, 5:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Express 2500 OEM License plate/Door Handle with camera mount

Hello all,

Was there a version of the 2010 which had a factory mounted camera in the License plate holder door handle?

It seems like someone mentioned it once but I have not been able to locate the reference or find any sort of a part number.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Old May 3rd, 2018, 7:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I couldn't find it, but a dealer could. The online GM sites don't list all the parts that a dealer does. It doesn't cost anything(except time and gas) to go and ask a dealer parts guy. When he finds it, ask him for the part number. Then Google it, and you should find it. It won't be cheap, but it may be cheaper online.

Personally, I love my center brake light lens camera. I am thinking about a second cam under the bumper, to make it easy to back up to a trailer.
Old May 4th, 2018, 6:39 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

STAN...
since we are talking about that back up camera here... let me ask this..
when you use your camera... can you see your Trailer hitch BALL...
meaning .. for me what would be the most important right now... would
be while backing up I could see that Hitch BALL and see the trailer tounge
come into sight so it can be lined up....
what would be nice.. if you would SCREEN SHOT with your camera
what you actually see on your back up camera?
Old May 4th, 2018, 8:12 AM
CF Veteran

I haven't towed since I installed the cam. But maybe. I'll check.

Don't hijack the man's thread.
Old May 5th, 2018, 2:01 PM
CF Beginner

Smile

Thanks StanVan,

That's a good idea. I tried one dealership parts guy and he was not helpful at all and not really interested in assisting me in any way! laughs....
Sheesh,... I'm going to try another dealership next week! Fortunately, there is no lack of them around here.
I may be mistaken and there may not have been an oem version for that year. I thought there was a limited production. But, we'll see what the next parts guy says
If not oem I'll go aftermarket. Yes, I expect either way it will be pricey, unfortunately.

I love my brake light center camera as well! It offers a great high commanding view. I'm doing exactly what you are considering, putting a second camera down low of towing purposes.
I have not towed in the past but plan to in the future.
Old May 5th, 2018, 4:52 PM
CF Veteran

While I'm not familiar with that particular option, if it exists on another year close to yours, it should fit.
Old June 13th, 2018, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default Update: No OEM

Well I ended up checking with several different dealership's parts departments. They were not able to locate a License plate/door handle with camera mount for my van.
They checked 2010 and the years close to it as well. One of the parts guys showed me the search and how he took off the VIN filtering and still we were not able to come up with a part.

Based on that result I am going with an aftermarket product. There are not many reviews yet but we'll see how it turns out.

Thanks
Old June 13th, 2018, 2:33 PM
CF Veteran

Good luck with that, and thanks for the update. We'll be interested in what you end up with.
Old June 13th, 2018, 4:54 PM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is because this option was not available in 2010. It came in later, but those vans didn't change since 2003. Fits the same.

https://www.generalmotorspartsonline...-hardware-scat
23489984 Handle, Outside, RIGHT
RIGHT SIDE, W/ CAMERA $141.74
Old July 10th, 2018, 4:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default Update: Installation

Hello, I hope everyone is having a great summer.
This weekend I had some time to continue this project~! Of course it took up more of my weekend than I expected, don't they always

I ordered and received the aftermarket license plate door handle with integrated camera mount.

Overall the installation was not too difficult a job. The big issues were running the wires and a misfit problem with backing bracket.
The wiring was not really an issue it just took time to fish and snake it through to the front of the van for connectivity. For this one I went inside and up over on the passenger side of the van. One line running to the battery and another connection to the receiver unit in the dash.

As you'll see in the pictures the silver license plate backing bracket does not fit flush because the camera housing is in the way. There are two threaded studs which secure the silver bracket.
The top one fits without issue but the bottom one is not workable without modification. I choose to adapt the camera housing. I removed it from the assembly then was able to cut and file down
the offending protruding corner. I didn't get a picture after the final fine tuning but you can see the progress. In the end it was a good flush tight fit.

Everyone can judge for themselves (although it is tough to get a good black on black photo) but I think the whole new assembly looks great!

However, I am disappointing in the quality of the picture. It is not nearly as good as my brake light camera. I don't know if it is the camera itself maybe the focal length or resolution, or maybe my receiver unit or the camera's wide angle lens along with the 45 degree downward point of view. Further investigation of is warranted

The new camera does work well in terms of providing a good view of the hitch and will allow easier lining up for a trailer connection.
That is something which the brake light camera does not provide and that is actually the whole reason for this project!

The original frame assembly

The frame which holds the camera in place blocks this bracket stud.

The backing bracket can no longer be installed.

Another angle of the issue

This is how it should fit even with the stud (not shown) in place

Once removed it can be seen how the camera mounting mechanism was designed and how it might be changed

The mounting bracket was easily modified leaving plenty of material to support the camera.

This shot was after the initial modification, a great improvement. Some file work shaped the camera frame even more. Finally, the bracket was once again flush and even all the way across.

Reassembled and installed it looks pretty good. Difficult to make out but the camera is mounted just to the side of the key lock.