Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2010 Express 3500 Van cruise not engaging intermittently

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2015, 9:51 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2010 Express 3500 Van cruise not engaging intermittently

Sitting at the dealer. $125 just to diagnose the problem. Wished I had checked this forum first. I noticed my brake controller for towing also doesn't trip off unless I re-tap the brake pedal at times. I never connected the two problems until just now. I am thinking this is a brake pedal travel issue. Something a shot of WD40 would have fixed.
Old June 26th, 2015, 2:51 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi goyakpacking,

The diagnostic fee generally varies from dealer to dealer. Nonetheless, we're sorry for any inconvenience you've experienced and hope your vehicle is done soon. Please keep us posted and feel free to private message us more details if you require further assistance.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 27th, 2015, 1:29 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they diagnose it beyond your current theory.. it will be $125.00 well spent.
Old June 29th, 2015, 2:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of irony to this.

I was at the dealer before 7am before service opened. Was taken second in line. They checked me in, did the fluid color thing with oil, brake fluid, etc. I was in for oil change, 2 belt changes, rear diff service, and to have the cruise checked since it acted up on the way to the dealer. The service adviser told me it would be 3 to 4 hrs. I said I would stay and wait. I calculated that was the equivalent of a round trip shuttle to home and back again...(from past experience). So I opted to sit it out in the waiting area. Now... had I been told this would take all day I would have taken the shuttle home.

So sitting in the waiting room and reading similar reports on the Express Van cruise control problems I was pretty convinced this was going to be a brake pedal issue. Note I connected the intermittent problem of my trailer brake controller to the pedal too. The ironic part of all of this, had I not ever been introduced to this forum, or didn't have all this extra time on my hands sitting in the waiting room looking up the problem on my iPad.....I would have been none the wiser.

At the 4 hr mark I walked out to the service adviser to ask about status and found out they had started nothing on my van yet. I was a little peeved to say the least. I asked for my vehicle and canceled all the service I was going to have done. I wasn't about to waste another 4 hours there. That was about $700-$800 worth of work from what they estimated before actually fixing whatever they diagnosed on the cruise.

I bought the 2 belts I needed at the dealer before I left. I had intentions of doing those myself now.

So I left and headed to a Jiffy Lube I sometimes have the oil changed at. While driving the cruise wouldn't come on. I tapped up on the underside of the pedal as some suggested. Presto it now came on. A little lube ended up fixing that.

I pulled into Jiffy lube and left an hour and a half later. They changed the belts for me, full syn oil/filter/lube...and did my diff service....all for $288+$100 for the belts I had bought while at the dealer. ($388 Total). The best part was Jiffy Lube told me my Brake Fluid cap was missing (Hmm just checked at the dealer. Was the cap on the service advisers desk, or put on loose and now laying on the road?) Called dealer....they are replacing it.

So thanks to this forum, and poor service/failure to meet their commitment, I saved a minimum of $300-$400 that day...more if you figure in what the charge for the cruise fixing, above the diag fee, might have been.

Bottom line on the Cruise not coming on issue. It was a brake pedal travel problem that was easily fixed. Thank You to forum members that posted this as a possible solution to try. I suggest others look at this trouble spot too if they are experiencing problems with their cruise not engaging.

Last edited by goyakpacking; June 29th, 2015 at 2:57 AM.
Old June 29th, 2015, 4:54 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, so you and your van sat there for 4 hours and they did nothing? That is pathetic.