Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Adding side mirror glass with turn signal to stock mirror + Euro side marker lights

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2019, 9:57 AM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Adding side mirror glass with turn signal to stock mirror + Euro side marker lights

Hi , I have a 2005 base model panel van ,

If possible I would like to replace the stock mirror glass with the "turn signal" mirror glass but keep the stock housings ,
Can this be done ? is there a way to run the wires thru the stock housing ?
And is there aftermarket "turn signal" mirror glass available ?

Also did Chevy have side marker lights in other overseas markets ?
I know they are required in many European countries ,
My old 1991 GMS van had them and they were wired up as marker lights and side turn signals.

I would just like to have some turn signals on the side that other drivers can see ,
the side view mirror ones will help , but it would also be nice to have some on the front fender and rear panel.

I quess if none are available I could mount some clearance lights on the inner wheel well edge close to the fender lip.

Any other ideas ? Traffic around here is crazy and all the rice rockets are cutting in and out of traffic thinking they are in the Fast and Furious movie !

Thanks for any ideas
Old June 21st, 2019, 12:11 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There is lots of room for wires. Here are the ones I added. They are either option DE5 or option DE7 I forget. They are heated too. Very easy to install.

Old June 21st, 2019, 12:28 PM
CF Pro Member

As a part of a hobby, or something to do, something I enjoy, I write useless web-pages. It's a cheap pass-time. Anyways, I have wanted to document my truck and re-write half the upfitter manual. I have started doing so. It's all incomplete and will change over time, but when you posted this I was actually working on the mirror page. Have a look:

https://dan.berladyn.online/onyx-black/outside-mirrors/

The following users liked this post:
Trackvw (June 21st, 2019)
Old June 21st, 2019, 2:21 PM
CF Active Member

Thanks for the replies ,

I really just want the factory "arrow" in the mirror glass , do they sell an aftermarket pair of the "arrow glass" by itself ?

I really do not need power mirrors or heated ones , and really do not like the split mirrors I have used on rental vans ,

Cheers
Old June 21st, 2019, 7:10 PM
CF Pro Member

If you find glass with the arrow in it that is large enough to fit the housing, let us know. Glass is easy to cut. I friend who's a glazier. I swing by his work sometimes and watch him cut while talk. I suppose you could order mirror glass, scratch the mirror finish exactly where you want it missing for the arrow, maybe apply some mirror tint, then install a bulb behind the glass.

GM is now building these vans with 'side object collision warning' systems. The indicator for such a is a light inside the glass. Maybe you could look into those.
Old June 21st, 2019, 7:13 PM
CF Pro Member

By the way, I might actually lose my split mirrors. I am not sure I noticed other than the initial pain to set them just right, but there have been a lot of complaints. So many that I think GM brought back, or at least kept, the single glass mirrors as an option. Current single pane builds are option DEB I think. Personally I would like to take a Silverado Trailering mirror and Frankenstein it with these mounts. Either that or modify commercial Dumbo ears which isn't a bad idea either. A lot is possible if you are good with your hands.

There must be fifteen different mirror types for these vans. I was searching images thinking of a project to do down the round, bigger telescopic mirrors.

Last edited by dberladyn; June 21st, 2019 at 7:53 PM.
Old June 21st, 2019, 8:38 PM
CF Active Member

Good idea looking for a larger glass to cut to size , there

is not a Chevy dealer nearby to see if there is a part number for glass only,
Old June 22nd, 2019, 12:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can get the same aftermarket mirrors that DB shows but in the single glass type. I have not seen one with a arrow in the glass....

I am with you on the split mirrors. Def not an improvement.
Old June 22nd, 2019, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

I absolutely love my split mirrors. They cover my blind spot so I don't have to do the full neck twist, and I can see my rear wheels which really helps with maneuvering.
Old June 22nd, 2019, 1:53 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
I absolutely love my split mirrors. They cover my blind spot so I don't have to do the full neck twist, and I can see my rear wheels which really helps with maneuvering.
Don't have splits, just a small convex in the corner. Serves the same purpose as there is no view directly out the back windows.
Side note: did have to explain to a lady one day what the split was for at a gas station (in a rental box) so she didn't hit the pump's barrier a second time.