Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Another seat thread

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2018, 10:23 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVan
That may explain your issue. I do think these vans are made for a taller person. At 6', it fits me like a glove. A tight glove, as I carry my extra weight out front, and there's not much movement of the steering wheel. As for the adjustment I made, it seemed to me that it was leaning forward to the point I felt I could slide off the front.

The side of the seat wearing down at 8500 mi is wrong. And that should be a warranty issue.
I think there is a bracketed size of person that fits these seats, neither my wife nor I fall into that bracket... I'm 6'-4", 260 lbs (I'm not quite as in-shape as I'd like, but I'm not fat), and my wife is 5'-4", 110 lbs, and we both complain that the seat is uncomfortable, and the seat height isn't great for either one of us (which is why we are really considering a power retro-fit and possibly a front seat replacement). My wife can't get high enough to see, as well as she'd like, over the dash... I also wasn't impressed with the squishiness of the seat bottom, so I bought new foam from www.theseatshop.com . The foam is noticeably more dense than the stock foam (I shared pictures in another thread). This improved the feel of the seat for me, and raised the seat height slightly for my wife (but she still uses an extra memory-foam pad to get another inch of boost). However, the new seat foam exacerbated my problem with being able to see stop lights and thing up high when I drive because now I sit a little taller, too. We also feel like the lumbar support is terrible. I might just stuff some foam in that area as a temporary fix. I guess I'm glad that this isn't the case for everyone because that means that the seat designers had someone in mind when they developed it, but I think it works for a narrow population of people.
Old December 12th, 2018, 4:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

I've used these in the past in cars that had sh***y seats. Very inexpensive and effective.

As I was searching for this image, I noticed that there were a lot of different products out there for re-profiling car seats.
Old February 26th, 2019, 2:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry so long updating this

had the seat worked on at a seat shop and they repadded and resprung the bottom of the seat and did some changes to the top, it helped a little but not much

did a LOT of research and considered the explorer conversion seat, you can pull your seat or airbags and send them to those guys, they will build you a seat with your airbag set up in them, with shipping etc looking at about 1500-1600 for one seat and 6-7 weeks wait time

would have done this but sat on some new explorer seats and did not like them, lot of money for a seat you do not like
sure it would have been better than the stock seats but not sure from an insurance standpoint it would make any difference and i did not like it

looked at some aftermarket conversion type seats that are 600-800, all were 6 week wait time with a lot of the companies having questionable bbb reports etc

finally decided to go with a scheel mann seat for the drivers side

this will have to disconnect the airbag in the seat, it is very unfortunate that all these manufacturers are building these vans with no decent seat upgrades or options and putting airbags in them

i am pretty annoyed with this whole thing
my options were this or sell the van

with all the insulation/modifying inside etc i hate to sell it less than a year after buying

the scheel mann is on order and takes 7-9 weeks to be made and get here
i bought the seat and the custom components to install it in a chevy van from
base-fab.com

right now trying to leave the van parked as much as possible, will update this once i get the seat installed
Old January 24th, 2023, 1:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but…

Can you post about your experience with the Scheel-Mann seats? Photos and comfort review?

Thank you so much!

Best,
jason Dietrich
Old January 26th, 2023, 2:39 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry i dont have any photos, not driving that car this week and super busy

the seat did not solve all my problems with the van, i dont know what it is about the position of the seats in here but for me it has been a big issue

have some problems that only show up in this van and others that are always much worse in here.....

need to sell it but refuse to pay 50,000 for a ford transit, waiting a little longer for the market to stabilize

all that being said the seat is very nice, well made, very supportive
i do not think you would regret buying one at all, you can always move it to another van/car later- may need to buy different base plates
if i had to do it over again would probably get the power seat and seat heater options in it

think they were also going to build a swivel type bottom frame so you could turn all the way around, not sure if they ever got that done for this van but probably

good chance this seat will end up in my transit , will try the stock seats first and if i dont like them will put this in there

hope this helps some